Twitist Forums
Republicans, why should I have to give my username and password for facebook just to get a job? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Marketing (/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Republicans, why should I have to give my username and password for facebook just to get a job? (/thread-12686.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Tennis Pro91 - 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

Because the employer does NOT have to hire you. If they feel like you are a threat, they don't have to hire you. I'm glad they opposed it. It makes sense. Americans DO NOT have the right to have a job. It's an opportunity and a privilege.

- broadappliance923 - 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

Cost savings.

Do you accept that a police officer must meet a higher standard of personal integrity than most?
Do you accept that a police department has a right to run a background check including criminal records, credit history and checking references?

So why should they have to pay someone to find out what you could give openly?

How is this any different than an employer asking for references, really? Afterall, he is forcing you to give him the names of people you know in your private life.

- Thedude27 - 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

They can ask, and you can tell them to f(ck off, just like I would.

- PoeFace - 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

Since politicians are public servants, they should be forced to give us their usernames and passwords, just to be fair.

- Caliban - 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

Yes, it is an invasion of privacy. I closed my Facebook a long time ago after I found
out how many companies Facebook allows to datamine your personal information.

- BekindtoAnimals22 - 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

Drug tests, background checks, credit checks, and now prying into people's personal lives to get a job are a huge indication that our society has gone to hell on a large scale and employers are looking for people who lead clean lives for safety reasons as well as looking for people who are likely to show up for work every day. Republicans have nothing to do with the fact that its hard to find people who have not messed up, who have been honest on their resumes, and who are worth the risk to the company to hire.

I do not support this practice. Neither Republicans nor Democrats are responsible for this. The legality of it is still in question. Facebook is considering suing employers using this practice.

- Sass - 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

I have to say, I'm pretty shocked by some of the responses here that more or less defend this practice- saying that we "don't have the right to a job", ect.

This is completely unacceptable for employers to do, and it should be illegal. It's a serious overstepping of boundaries on the part of companies, and no one should have to pass up a job because they don't feel comfortable giving up private information to a company- especially in this economy.

To the person who mentioned SSNs being given to employers- I don't really appreciate that, either. More and more employers use your SSN to check your credit rating, and can not hire you if you rating is bad. So, you get into some debt and made some bad financial decisions, and now you can't get hired and try to make a living for yourself and maybe, uh, I don't know, pay off said debt and build your credit again?? Sh*ttiest catch 22 ever.