Twitist Forums
Do atheists hate christians or other religions? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Pages (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Do atheists hate christians or other religions? (/thread-14331.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Judith - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

Personally, no but some do - just as some theists bash atheists.

- Brad B. No. 5 - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

I obviously do not hate all believers, as living in America, it's almost unavoidable that I would know Christian friends and family members, but I find the belief poisonous to society and feel that it creates too many narrow minds and provides a support system for zealots almost like no other.

We should rely on logic, rather than trying to enact laws based on what Zeus said.

- saraah - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

they believe there is no God so they bash religions that believe in God because they believe they are wrong

- shart - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

The hard truth is that it's difficult for atheists to have a conversation among themselves about religion without poking a little fun. There is, frankly, a lot to laugh about.

- DRE - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

Most of them that blog and bitch about it online are very mean and hateful. The ones who simply just don't believe, usually don't spend all there time on the subject, online and will be respectful towards the fact that not EVERYBODY in the universe has to be atheist, or made fun of.

- Rainbows........ - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

I don't really hate any religion. I may strongly disagree with some of their beliefs like being gay is wrong, or how women should have almost no rights, and just some stuff like that.

- Boethiah - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

I do not hate Christians, Jews, or any other religions based on the fact that they belong to that religion. Rather, I dislike the religious people who have no interest in agreeing to disagree and respecting my lack of belief.

- Michael - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

Interesting question Smile

To be honest I am a Christian and i don't think every Atheist in the world hates Christians. There may be some but i highly doubt that all of them hate us Smile and I hope they don't. But I also believe that some of the "Christians" can actually be the source of the problem when they treat others bitterly or even hatefully Sad which is the complete opposite of how a Christian should be in this world.

We are supposed to be full of love and compassion for all others Smile and if we are not then we simply fall short of what it means to be a Christian and are in fact a hypocrite. I honestly love gay people but i have to say that i hate lawlessness (sin), however that will never make me love any person any less than i do Smile because love is extremely important in Christianity and it always will be Smile

"If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clinging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing." 1 Corinthians 13: 1-2

"If I gave everything I had to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing." 1 Corinthians 13: 3

“Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God.” 1 John 4: 7

“God is love and all who live in love lives in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect.” 1 John 4: 16

“Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. Our actions will show that we belong to the truth, so we will be confident when we stand before God.” 1 John 3: 18-19

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." 1 John 3: 16

- Ceisiwr - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

I've been interested in religious beliefs, mythology and related matters since I was a child, and enjoy an interesting discussion with religious people so that I can understand their belief and why they believe.

I put forward my views on religious beliefs and I read those of others. I know that those with deeply held religious beliefs aren't going to change, and it isn't my intention to get them to change. However, it does show that there are other views.

I sometimes explain how I came from being a devout Catholic to realising that faith was based upon nothing but itself, that science explained nature satisfactorily without needing supernatural beings, and that religious beliefs were no different to those of ancient beliefs in gods and goddesses.

I try to answer based on my knowledge of scripture, theology, mythology and religion. And I sometimes try to trace religious beliefs, and Bible stories, back to the earlier myths from which they derive.

I think I do so in a neutral manner most of the time, although I might express an opinion concerning actions of a few religious people or organisations that adversely affect freedom of choice and civil and human rights, such as the infamous Proposition 8 in California.

- choko_canyon - 10-15-2012 09:11 PM

"Christians" aren't a religion so you cannot hate "christians or other religions".

Do atheist hate Christianity and other religions? No, mostly they don't hate anything as a group. What you might be seeing as hatred is the idea that religions often do terrible, destructive, cruel things to people based on their personal worldview and the arrogance that their viewpoint is the only correct one, and certain atheists might try to counter those actions by pointing them out in a public way. Some of those might get emotionally worked up, and come across as angry or hateful, but remember that bashing a thing is just criticizing it in an extreme way and doesn't imply hatred.