Twitist Forums
why do gay people get so much support? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: why do gay people get so much support? (/thread-153954.html)

Pages: 1 2

- mawitha xd - 05-07-2014 12:37 AM

No one says it's better to be gay. Gay people are getting active support because gay people are still being hated on. It's not illegal for straight people to marry. It's not illegal for a white person to marry a black person or a Latino person to marry an asian; interracial marriage isn't frowned upon anymore, or at least as much as it was (there are a few racist people around). Gay marriage is still illegal in over half of the US and in most countries. People show their support because there are some very mean people out there, i.e. the Westboro Baptist "Church" who say everything wrong in the world is at the fault of homosexuals. Gay people are still overly bullied and threatened, so it's not better to be gay.

You can't force your son to not be gay. If he's gay, he was born that way. He won't be gay because society tells him to, when a lot of society still says that being gay is wrong. Being homosexual is not something that can be prevented, just like being black or being born with a disability.

- Elliot - 05-07-2014 12:45 AM

We get support because we also experience oppression, which I can't say that cis hetero males probably ever experience. Many people think that gay people choose to be this way, so it's not quite the same as race, because although people get oppressed for that, no one is told that "they chose to be black". Essentially we need support because for every person who says they support you, there's one person who doesn't, and those are the things that stick with you.

- 383 - 05-07-2014 12:51 AM

That's the thing, sexual orientation shouldn't be a taboo subject--but it is. Still in 2014, we're persecuted and denied basic human rights because of our orientation--and in some places, we're jailed and executed for it. I've been saying this for years, and I'll repeat it again. We aren't looking for "special rights". We just want "equal rights" and to be treated fairly like heterosexual America.

Support for the LGBT community is growing because people are finally understanding that we're just like everyone else and we're not mentally disturbed deviants who will "destroy the fabric of America." It seems like that to you because you have "heterosexual privilege" and you've never had your rights taken away from you because you're straight.

People getting higher chances of getting jobs for being gay is the biggest load of crap. Yes, laws are changing that protect LGBT people in the work place, but you can STILL be FIRED on the grounds of your sexuality and gender identity/expression in most of America, 16 states for being gay and 34 for being transgender to my knowledge--my state still has both those laws enforced in many counties and cities.

Support is coming out because people are seeing the troubles we face; the persecution and violence. People are being more vocal about support because the violence needs to end. This isn't "being better" than anyone. It's people realizing that we aren't second class people. We're like everyone else. You won't understand our struggle because it's not your struggle or battle to face.

- Gabriel - 05-07-2014 01:04 AM

I don't know where your source of information is when you say "it's better to be gay" or "higher chances of getting jobs".
It's true that many gay celebrities have got huge support from the public when they come out. But then think again, not every person is Elton John, Ricky Martin or Ian McKellen.
It's everyday evidence to see:
- Gay being ill-treated and ridiculed by narrow-minded beings.
- People lost their jobs for being gay.
- LGBT teens get bullied and abused by their mates and get disowned by their own families.
- Gay persons commit suicide because of the pressure the "straight society" put on them.
- Gay sons and daughters live in fear and anxiety because their parents don't want them to be gay.
You still think being gay is advantageous?

- Paul - 05-07-2014 01:11 AM

Homosexuals in America have been discriminated since the 1950's ,were not accepted and were being considered as an outcast. Still today in the South and mostly the religious Red States do have a second thought about gay people. Finally in more liberal states, mainly Blue States gays are being accepted as respected citizens. After these long years of seeking recognition, finally it has happened and I can only assume this reconciliation due to long misconceptions have been over bridged and to its actual status.
Based upon these allegations there has been a sympathy for the gay community to support their struggle.