Twitist Forums
Anti-abortion proponents, can you help me answer this question about abortions ? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Anti-abortion proponents, can you help me answer this question about abortions ? (/thread-35198.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- ed f - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

There are numerous teachings in Scripture that make it abundantly clear what God’s view of abortion is. Jeremiah 1:5 tells us that God knows us before He forms us in the womb. Psalm 139:13-16 speaks of God’s active role in our creation and formation in the womb. Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder. This clearly indicates that God considers a baby in the womb to be as human as a full-grown adult. For the Christian, abortion is not a matter of a woman’s right to choose. It is a matter of the life or death of a human being made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27; 9:6).

- MaidinKent - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

It is very simple. It is a woman's right to choose. If you don't want an abortion, you shouldn't have one. You may have strong beliefs but they oppose mine. Your views should not dictate how my decisions are made. That is all there is to it.

- charlotte g - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

my option is that the only time abortion is correct is if the mother's life is at risk and it is better to lose one life( the baby) than to lose 2 lives -my counter to "it is all in God's hands" is that religion prohibits suicide and murder so if you continue with a pregnancy knowing full well that it could result in your death (suicide) and the death of the baby (murder) then this is twice as ''immoral' if not just as 'immoral' as abortion in the first place

- Ryan - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

the pope said the same thing about the polio vaccine

- XAndrewX - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

Well, when you ask any parent (me being a parent of 4) they would gladly die for their child. I have heard many stories about the mother willingly choosing to die so her unborn child could live. When does one life have a greater value than another?

Ask this person this hypothetical: Her and her mother are captured by a killer. The killer tells them one of them will die and he makes her chose whether her mother dies or she dies. Push her for an answer and see what she says. If she tries to tell you it is not he same, tell her it is exactly the same.

It is in God's hands.

Peace be with you

<<<Devout Catholic>>>

- themusicman - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born." - Ronald Reagan

I'm sure those who support pro-choice are also anti-death penalty (How about we just call it late term abortion) I'm not going to argue about whether or not a fetus is a person, (I believe they are) but think where would we be if Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Martin Luther King Jr, or Einstein or any one else who made a difference was aborted. Who are we to say that an unborn human has the right to live or not?

I have looked at both sides, and I'm sorry but the way I look at it (non-rape victims) if your going to have sex by free choice use birth control or a condom (not that it fool-proof) or DONT DO IT AT ALL to avoid pregnancy, you brought it upon yourself and should have to raise the kid.

In the instance of saving the life of the mother, or in the case of rape. I have to leave that to my faith. I feel that only God can decide whether or not the birth should take place. Miscarriages happen, and I see that as the will of God. But a forced abortion is man playing God himself. I mean there is no way around me trying to be scientific on this. I agree with Amanda above I believe a Fetus is a Human, and killing is morally wrong.

We protect whales, trees, bald-eagles, why can't we protect something that is of our own kind? If I wen't out and grabbed just hatched Bald-eagles would I not be in some serious trouble. I'm sure I would get just as much crap about stomping their eggs also. That would be news, but lets go suck a baby out with a vacuum and thats normal? Something just don't add up...

A 'fetus' heart starts beating at around 18 to 21 days after conception. That's right, within the first month of pregnancy. Some doctors and scientist agree that life actually begins at the fertilization of the egg.

The wire hanger abortions are extremely dangerous and without it being aloud more of this would go on. I do not hate people who have abortions I just disagree with their decision. I am glad that I was given the chance to live. I don't see what right anyone else has taking away that right of an unborn child. I cannot stop a person from having an abortion, but can adoption not be a choice instead? I have met many people who have had abortions and they regret it every single day of their lives. If we're going to "Give peace a chance" can we "Give Life a Chance" also?

Maybe people don't get an abortion for "the hell of it" but some do just because they don't want to be a parent. I will say this again, if you can screw around and be adult enough to have sex and get pregnant you can RAISE a child. If I got a girl pregnant and she didn't want to be a parent I would ask and plead for her to have the kid, and if she still didn't want it after the fact, GIVE ME FULL PARENTAL RIGHTS. I may not be ready to raise a kid, but I sure as heck am going to try my hardest to see that kid has all the same opportunities I have had in my life.

- Quietcow314 - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

I'm sorry? You want to know how to bring FAITH into a RATIONAL ARGUMENT? xD

- hst_dan - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

Unitarian said it well but I just wanted to expand a few points. The central question in the whole debate is when life begins from a religious viewpoint. We know the biology but when does the fetus/pre-born have a soul? We don't know the answer to this question. Christianity has determined it is at conception. There is no Bible basis for this.

When you buy a dozen eggs and break one to find a blood spot, it is a fertilized egg. Does that make it a chicken? Most certainly not!

So each of us have to make a demarcation point since there is not one in the Bible. For me, conception is far too soon and birth is too late. So what is in the middle? For me, that point is viability. When the pre-born can survive outside the womb, that is a child with full legal rights. Science may reduce that point but now 32 weeks gestation is a minimum. Until then, the mother bears all responsibility. She gets to choose what is best for both of them. Some people are not in a situation to bring a child into the world. Don't judge others until you put yourself in their shoes! If you knew by 12 weeks that the pre-born you are carrying has severe genetic defects, and you believed that that pre-born does not have a soul, you'd be a fool to choose to complete the pregnancy.

- cardimom - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

You believe what you believe, why is it necessary to counter what she said?

- olinader - 11-09-2012 07:47 PM

give up. you're not going to convince her in the same way she couldn't convince you.