Twitist Forums
Parents: Do you think television is an educational tool, purely for entertainment, or a healthy mix of both? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Parents: Do you think television is an educational tool, purely for entertainment, or a healthy mix of both? (/thread-60760.html)

Pages: 1 2

- LuvMy2Girls - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

It can be educational, mostly for adults and older children though.

For young kids (under 4), it's purely entertainment.

Charlie? Kristina? Sara?

- I heart avocados - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

TV can be educational. Not just as far as ABC 123s, but with social and emotional skills as well. One of my children is autistic, and favorite characters of his encourages social skills and imitative play while helping him with his speech. But he also loves books.

- luvmy4boyz - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

I think it's whatever you use it for. it can be just for entertainment if all you watch is sponge bob but it can be just for education if all you watch is the discovery channel or it can be both if you mix it up. Same with the internet and books.

I am bad with names so I'm probably wrong and if I'm right then this might be considered cheating but your name is Amanda?

edit: HA like 3 other people said your name while I was typing my answer! No fair!

- taljalea - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

TV is definitely more a entertaiment venue than most would like to think. For the one who lets her 16 month old watch Baby Einstein it has been proven that kids uner the age of 2 years old shold not be watching tv at all. You can show educational shows on TV but in the end a lot of people just use TV as a babysitter to keep the little ones quiet and out of their hair. My own kids would watch a movie and only 30 minutes of it and then turn away. They neither one cared for the 'educational shows'. The only time they really watched TV was when we sat as a family to watch a full movie.

The radio is music. It does not usually have any educational things on it that I have ever found. The news media stations might have something to them on current events since a lot of kids will have to keep up in school on those.

Books are a definite educational tool. Not only do they make text books for use in school, there are a wide variety of books that are non-fiction and you can learn a great deal from them. But then you also have some great fiction writers as well and you can still learn something fro the stories they write.

The internet can be educational to a point. There is a lot of 'crap' out there and you can not reliy on everything you find. Wikipedia is not a good source for finding out information as it is a free encyclopeida that people can add too. You can not be certain the things they put there are actual facts.

Social Media is not really educational. Kids under 13 for one are not allowed on it. AND there is always too much drama going on. It s more of a keep up with everyone thing rather than an educational thing. The only things I think people learn on it is how to bully, stalk and bother others. I use some social features online to keep up with family and friends and to play games that they have available.

It is up to parents and other adults to make sure their kids get the education they need and the experiences they need.

- shallowmonth029 - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

I think TV can be educational, but most shows seem to be just for entertainment. The shows that my son watches are have a good mix. What I use TV for is not for education, nor is it for entertainment. TV is the greatest distractor. When I'm nursing my baby or making dinner or doing something else that limits my ability to keep constant tabs on my son, I can just put him in front of the TV and I have a guaranteed 20 minutes of peace in which I can get done whatever it is I need to without having to chastise, or chase around, or get snacks or whatever else he wants me to do. I only do this maybe two or three times a day, but I think it's worth it.
we have a ton of books, most of which are way above my son's level, but I'm excited for him to start reading in a few years.

- Ambiance - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

They are whatever you want them to be. It's a tool and it's purpose is determined based on how you use it. Our tv is used for both entertainment and education. Same goes with the everything else.

- anonimitie - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

TV isn't educational (Mythbusters excepted) and very little of it is entertaining. It's a distraction that lazy parents use to occupy their children when they can't think of a better way.

Radio is entertainment. Internet is a useful technology that everyone needs to learn how to use - it's a basic human right.

Dorthy.