Twitist Forums
Question about websites like facebook...? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook ads (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Question about websites like facebook...? (/thread-103211.html)

Question about websites like facebook...? - big_j_gizzy - 02-23-2014 02:54 PM

If every member can join for free, how are places like facebook and myspace worth 2 billiob plus dollars?

Reason I ask, I am trying to develop my own website and trying to figure out how it would be worth anything if you offer free membership. Thanks.
So basically all I have to do is create a website that can generate a ton of people and then it will be worth millions? :-P

- tomasdogg - 02-23-2014 02:56 PM

Advertising. The more members they have, the more they can charge for advertising. Works the same way with magazines.

- ebethw85 - 02-23-2014 02:56 PM

they make money because advertisers post those banners on the sides of the webpages. so whenever someone clicks on them facebook and the advertiser gets some money

- futgirl4u - 02-23-2014 03:01 PM

I think is because people pay them to be advertised on their websites you see myspace has advertisements everywhere and that gives money

- Young and Wise - 02-23-2014 03:02 PM

they sell advertising

- yankeesevan - 02-23-2014 03:07 PM

Sites that are free sell adspace. Advertisers will pay more to put their ad on a site if more people go to it. So if there are 100,000,000 people on Myspace, its adspace is worth a lot. Those ads can be very profitable, so it is worth more to companies.