Twitist Forums
Is this English sentence correct? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Is this English sentence correct? (/thread-105299.html)

Is this English sentence correct? - Jake - 02-25-2014 09:38 PM

"The seasoning will infuse the meat and won't fall of whilst you fry it."
And is whilst more conventional at all?

- Marvelous Marv - 02-25-2014 09:48 PM

I'd say: "... won't fall off why frying".

- 176 - 02-25-2014 09:58 PM

Nobody uses "whilst" in regular conversation in 2014. You would simply say "while".

- woerden - 02-25-2014 10:05 PM

Yeah, this whole "whilst" thing is very popular on the Internet nowadays, but not in normal, everyday conversation (in North America, anyway). (I noticed it beginning a year or so ago, on facebook and other social media sites...usually in the caption of a picture or video.) "Whilst" isn't wrong, but it's weird. Some dictionaries even say the word is obsolete, like "thou". Just use "while" if it's a conversation between Americans or Canadians.

"The seasoning will infuse the meat and won't fall off while you fry it," or "...while you're frying it."

- Randy P - 02-25-2014 10:15 PM

"Whilst" sounds strange to us in the US (and Canada too perhaps). But I've heard English people say it in conversation plenty of times. So I wouldn't completely believe the statements that "it sounds weird" or "nobody says that anymore". Nobody says it on THIS side of the Atlantic.

- PizzaMan(8) - 02-25-2014 10:20 PM

fall off* - 'off' has two Fs and means the opposite of 'on', 'of' is a different word.

'while', as other people have said, is more conventionally spoken than 'whilst'.