Twitist Forums
help with a corn snake set up? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Pages (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: help with a corn snake set up? (/thread-105395.html)

help with a corn snake set up? - basket_case - 02-26-2014 04:57 AM

Does anyone have a planted snake set up? I was thinking about getting a pacman frog and getting a bunch of neat plants, but when I found out it's bad to handle them too often, I'd rather get something more cuddly, like a corn snake. I still want to do a planted tank though, even though I've never known anyone to do it for snakes. I know they require only a little humidity (25-35%) so I was thinking about doing air plants and other dry habitat, non pokey plants.

Suggestions for other plants that would be good for this?
Also, what would be a good low absorption substrate? Most people I know with snakes use aspen bedding, but I want to use something more aesthetic. The only other substrate I know of is coconut husk and that will absorb way too much water/keep the water way too high for what he needs :/
Also, how do you find out how many watts he needs for a 10gal? (he will be upgraded eventually as he grows to a 20). I was thinking of doing 75watt heat/red bulb and 26watt UVB bc that was the standard watt lolol is that alright? I just don't want to cook him or freeze him Sad

- Christopher - 02-26-2014 05:12 AM

You do not want to use live plants for your snakes. They say this is bad for them. However you can use fake plants. It still makes the tank look awesome. Most reptile owners use aspen bedding. Just as long as you do not use pine or cedar this will kill your snake. Both the watts you want to use is a good start. I would also get an under the tank heater. This will help the snake digest real easy. I also would not have the pacman frog in the tank with the snake because eventually it will become food to them. Your also right about the humidity levels they do not need much. I mist the tank when I notice that the eyes get cloudy and skin becomes pale. Check out my facebook page at Corn Snake Facts and Questions. You will learn a lot of information on this page. As well as posting pics of your snake and any questions you may have. I have years of experience with corn, milk, and king snakes. I hope to see you on this page!