Twitist Forums
Moving to canada wat do I need to do before I go? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Moving to canada wat do I need to do before I go? (/thread-106029.html)

Pages: 1 2

Moving to canada wat do I need to do before I go? - chris1341890 - 02-28-2014 09:28 AM

I'm moving to Toronto in Canada to find work from May to July and was wondering what I need to do like do I need a work visa or do I need to know French (I don't really know any) :/ a lot of information would b great thanks
I'm a Irish citizen Sad and I would like to stay somewhere cheap around a lot of shops where jobs is possible and easy transport access

- Yirmiyahu - 02-28-2014 09:37 AM

You need a work visa.
Toronto is English speaking only.
I suggest living in the vicinity of Bay St & Bloor St.

- john - 02-28-2014 09:42 AM

Not going to happen without proper job offer and approved work visa first.

- 734 - 02-28-2014 09:47 AM

You can't just show up to work. Unless you're planning to do it illegally for which I would strongly advise against.

Do your homework first.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-nopermit.asp

- bw022 - 02-28-2014 09:54 AM

You won't be working in Canada in May.

Irish citizens may visit Canada for a maximum of 180 days at the sole discretion of Canadian Border Services Agency. It is illegal for a visitor to attend school, work, or look for work while in Canada, nor can they obtain driver's licenses, obtain a social insurance number, apply for health insurance, open a bank account, etc. If caught attempting to enter Canada for the purposes of working, or found within Canada attempting to work, you'll be deported, banned from entering Canada for a year, and unable to enter Canada again without a visa -- which you will likely never receive. It may also prevent entry into most western countries.

In order to work in Canada you must have a work permit before entering the country. In order to apply for a work permit you must have an approved job offer from a Canadian company which has permission to hire foreign workers. That company must have applied for and received a labour market opinion (LMO) report which shows a shortage of Canadians in that profession along with proof that company advertised within Canada and no Canadian applied for the position. That company must send you a job offer letter and the original LMO. You must submit both with your work permit application. You must also pass background, medical, and financial checks (minimum $13,000 in savings).

Positive LMOs are only issued for certain highly skilled professions (doctors, engineers, nurses, specialized trades) or highly temporary jobs (seasonal farm workers, off season hotel workers, some ski resorts). Finding a job offer, even for highly skilled professionals, can take years or decades. No company in Canada is going to bother going through the process of getting permission to hire a foreign worker for only a few months, nor would any company in Canada have any problems finding unskilled workers during the summer -- millions of high school and university students would be flooding the job market.

Irish young people may also apply for a work permit through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. This is commonly known as a working holiday visa. However, this is essentially an exchange program and the number of visas issued is based on the number of similar visas issued to Canadians. Unfortunately, due to the massively high youth unemployment in Ireland... few Canadians want to work there and the number of visas issued to Irish citizens is extremely limited. The program is also not currently open and only a few thousand visas will be issued when it is... the chance of getting one is remote. Further, they don't issues visas for three months. These are one year visas.

- Apartment - 02-28-2014 09:57 AM

In Canada a majority of people speaks English, so don't worry you not need to learn french.

- Comicbook Reader - 02-28-2014 10:13 AM

First, Toronto isn't cheap. Second, without a work visa in hand, no employer will even talk to you. Visa first, Canada after that.

- Samantha Alexander - 02-28-2014 10:27 AM

well you might need a visa you can do that would contact your laocl offieece

- capitalgentleman - 02-28-2014 10:39 AM

Unless you are on the work-visit Visa, you cannot move to Canada to find work. That is totally illegal.

The work-vist (or working holiday) visa must be obtained before you come over.

- 316 - 02-28-2014 10:48 AM

You cannot work in Canada without an appropriate visa for this. You can just visit also with the appropriate paper work for travel. Toronto is a large English speaking part of Canada so no need for french but a little of it might be helpful too. Good luck!