Twitist Forums
Is it illegal for a lifetime registered sex offender to have profile pages on facebook or myspace? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Pages (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Is it illegal for a lifetime registered sex offender to have profile pages on facebook or myspace? (/thread-10636.html)

Is it illegal for a lifetime registered sex offender to have profile pages on facebook or myspace? - Sabby - 10-15-2012 07:43 PM

I live in Indy, and I know of someone that is a lifetime notification on the Indiana sex offender list, and they have a profile page on facebook. I have already reported them to facebook, but I was curious if this was against the law for them to do?
Does it make any difference if the crime was for child molestation?

- jakflak - 10-15-2012 07:51 PM

Yes, that is legal.

- Arran :) - 10-15-2012 07:51 PM

It's perfectly legal-anyone can get a Facebook page, because the police have no way of proving the identity of the owner of the page and even so there is nothing legally to stop someone using Facebook as it is an open and public site.

- block me. - 10-15-2012 07:51 PM

Good for you.
To many people are apathetic about beasts and that is how they get away with their crimes.

- jslinderml - 10-15-2012 07:51 PM

It depends on the conditions of their release. If they are on parole or probation and the terms of that do not allow the use of social media, or even a computer, its illegal.

If there are no restrictions about it the use of the service is not illegal, however Facebook has the right to remove it.