Twitist Forums
Why do they have communal toilets in parts of Russia? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Why do they have communal toilets in parts of Russia? (/thread-109740.html)

Pages: 1 2

Why do they have communal toilets in parts of Russia? - Grumpiest Man Alive - 03-13-2014 03:41 PM

A BBC photo of a men's cubicle with twin toilets at a Sochi Olympics venue has caused a Twitter storm in Russia.

The picture from the Biathlon Centre tweeted by Moscow correspondent Steve Rosenberg was picked up by opposition leader Alexei Navalny among others.

Mr Navalny queried how the budget for the games, said to be $50bn (£30bn; 1,700bn roubles), had been spent.

Elsewhere, the photo caused disbelief and much hilarity, with some linking it to the recent debate over gay rights.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25830617

- Deighton - 03-13-2014 03:46 PM

They also have communal urinals in the UK

- Velazquez 63 - 03-13-2014 04:01 PM

cultural maybe, I used to live in Italy, the football grounds had mixed toilets, which was very odd to us English, when in rome.........

- Jack H - 03-13-2014 04:12 PM

It's because of the weather...

- 394 - 03-13-2014 04:19 PM

Lol it was startling enough in France where men could go into the same loo but the actual cubicles were separate, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a french man leaning against the cubicle door chatting to his wife inside but I would've thought most people would be too embarrassed to sit down together in an open room!

- Billy - 03-13-2014 04:20 PM

Think about it , Don't the Russians believe in equality

- QuiteNewHere - 03-13-2014 04:31 PM

They pave the way for the next Olympic events.

SYNCHRONIZED POOPING
PEE THE FARTHEST

- John G - 03-13-2014 04:34 PM

They have had them in France for a very long time..

- David GH UK - 03-13-2014 04:37 PM

I dont see anything so disgusting and unhealthy as having anything to do with gay people ? I cant explain the Russian toilet,but I do remember its hardly the first time communal toilets have been known,including old Roman ones that were in England,and I believe some still exist. Everyone carried a sponge on a stick as toiler paper. In fact the Roman ones were the first word in engineering with running water underneath to carry away the waste. See my link.

Regarding Urinals. I personally refuse to use urinals when its crowded,but its hardly the same thing as the full toilet ? In any case early urinals were divided into small sections where the user had some privacy from the next door user..

- Hoekom - 03-13-2014 04:47 PM

At one time, some years back, the Station Centraal (railroad station) in Amsterdam used to have a "communal" public lav. On one side of the room was a row of urinals, then a wall with sinks on each side, and on the other side a row of toilet stalls. Of course, only men used the urinals, but both men and women used the stalls.