Twitist Forums
What is your spelling/grammar pet peeve? Anyone have the same as mine? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: What is your spelling/grammar pet peeve? Anyone have the same as mine? (/thread-109899.html)

Pages: 1 2

What is your spelling/grammar pet peeve? Anyone have the same as mine? - Lauren - 03-14-2014 04:58 AM

Mine is when people say "on accident" instead of "by accident," because people say the phrase "on purpose" and think the same thing applies to "on accident." Also, I've heard many of my teachers make this error, so I guess the knowledge about this error isn't really well-known.
Also, I hate when people just automatically correct something like "my mom and me" to "my mom and I."
People don't realize that the "...and me" part is grammatically correct in many cases, but they don't use it at all.
Lastly, it annoys me how many people cannot spell the word "definitely!" I see the word "defiantly" so many times on social media because I guess AutoCorrect changes it, but I'd say you should still edit the tweet or post by yourself after it AutoCorrects. And then when people spell it out themselves, many get it wrong anyways. For example, I see "definatly" a lot, and many other errors with this word.

So what are your own pet peeves, and do we have any similar ones?

- bellywelly - 03-14-2014 05:00 AM

ppl

- 613 - 03-14-2014 05:13 AM

when ppl type lyke dis
They look uneducated when they do that and it's a pain in the *** to read

- ADNIL - 03-14-2014 05:27 AM

I hate when people abbreviate words that make them seem illiterate. Like cuz instead of because. Etc.

- Grim - 03-14-2014 05:34 AM

Your/you're confusion
loose/lose confusion

- HugMyster - 03-14-2014 05:43 AM

People still not knowing when to use "Me and Fred" or "Fred and I".

Both are syntactically correct, but mean TOTALLY different things.

- jessingo - 03-14-2014 05:52 AM

When people say things like 'I drawed' instead of I drew. Also my worst one is when people spell phonetically, 'carnt' 'dosnt' 'knoe' etc. AND THE DREADED 'YOU'RE' happy new year!

P.s The 'definantly' is the worst!

- yet-knish! - 03-14-2014 06:06 AM

Using apostrophes to make plurals
"Me and her went to the store"
Posting questions with huge blocks of text with no punctuation
Loose/lose

I'm sure there are a bunch of other, I just can't think of them right now.

- Yay - 03-14-2014 06:16 AM

I find it irritating when people don't know the difference between their, there and they're.

- fizixx - 03-14-2014 06:25 AM

Oh...what a long list I have with this.....here's a few:

The classic stupidity when people don't know "There, Their, They're"...and, Where and Were.

I also can't stand when someone says..."I'm going to university"....lol...instead of saying, "I'm going to A university", or "THE university".

And another classic is: "I'm crushing on someone", instead of, "I have a crush on someone".

Then when you hear someone say "supposebly", instead of "supposedly"

There's so much unintelligible babble anymore it's a total treat to read questions or answers that aren't broken all over or sound as if the person has the IQ of a potato. They flow nicely, you can understand what the person is saying and it's effortless.