Twitist Forums
Can employers look at Facebook or MySpace pages when screening for a interview or job? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Pages (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Can employers look at Facebook or MySpace pages when screening for a interview or job? (/thread-11138.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- taterbug5252 - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

Absolutely, they can. And what do you mean...have you been a victim? If you are stupid in your personal life and document it on the Internet, an employer has every right to decide if you are the kind of employee they would want.

- Dervish - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

Yes. I was refused a job because of "inappropriate" curse words i had on my Myspace page. The employed said it showed i was lacking the morals required to be a responsible daycare assistant.

- hollyelizabethjean - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

Actually there was a report about this that I saw some time ago. Some employers do look at Myspace for the person they may be interviewing. It is the same as a background check. If your page is full of racist or over-emotional graphics and things about others, it may show that you are not somebody who would work well with others, or who may cause problems.

- Profoundtoothbrush205 - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

yes. keep your page clean or randomly clean

- address man - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

Yes. The only thing I have on my facebook or myspace page that could hurt me is the fact that I'm in the arts; some employers look at people like me and think that we'll quit the minute a gig comes along. It doesn't matter though, since I always disclose this anyway.

Keep your MySpace and Facebook pages free of dirt my son.

- you-asked! - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

of course they can. you put it out in cyberspace, and now you think you were a VICTIM? HA.

- Doug E. Doug - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

If it's a public profile you can bet that many employers will look at it.

There is no "reasonable expectation of privacy" if you've posted the information publicly.

I've also heard of employers "renting" access to people's Facebook profiles (offering them money to use their profile/password for a day) so they can look at the profiles of other people in the rentee's network.

- Doug E. Doug - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

Of course it is true. You have put yourself on the internet for people to see and read about why shouldn't they look?
As for being victimized by an employer why should you think that? You put the stuff up there. It is not as if someone else did and they are badmouthing you. If you are ashamed of what is there take it off!

- footballgal - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

yes they can and do colleges also do this. one of the shows like dateline or something like that had a show about it and somebody got their admission to the college revoked after the administration found their myspace page. So yes employeers do look so don;t put anything shady on there like drugs, wild parties drinking alot.... I don't totally agree with them being able to do this bc someone could make up a page and burn you hardcore!

- Nettajay - 10-15-2012 08:01 PM

Yes, Your IT department can crack your password, find out the sites your are visiting. So whatever you do keep it clean and respectable it can come back to bite you on the behind.