Twitist Forums
i lost my friends cause i dont use social media? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: i lost my friends cause i dont use social media? (/thread-112423.html)

i lost my friends cause i dont use social media? - ...yo - 03-22-2014 10:38 PM

I'm 15, a guy, and i feel really crappy.
When i was growing up, life for me was real tough. I had skin problems (eczema), asthma, parents fighting, brother being a douche to me but he was joking (hes 11 years older than me), and my parents just found any small issue to yell at me about.
In elementary school, if i ever even itched my arm ONCE, my teacher would send me home telling me im contagious. My dad was frustrated, everyday having to pick me up early. By 5th grade i made a lot of friends (maybe 45 or 60 kids) and my skin was clearing up (also fortunately i never really had any asthma issues and still never do). I graduated but my parents decided to transfer me to a better middleschool instead of having me go to the one where my friends were going. I cried a lot when i was a kid, and theres just no more tears left for me to shed, my life was horrible and im barely going into detail about it.
In middleschool, i made a couple friends in the 6th grade. In the 7th grade, many more friends, and 8th grade i literally knew everyone in my grade. I was happy. These 3 years were the best ones of my life, and my friends were amazing. I made a facebook in the 7th grade, but not many kids used it yet so i just left it alone (i only put my birthday and name on my profile). I graduated and am now in a high school where almost no one from either of my previous schools goes to. Its close to their schools, but still. I sorta hate my school. There are way too many Chinese/Korean/ Japanese kids and to be honest i'm a ghetto/hood type of person cause i grew up in the ghetto mainly around Hispanic and African American people and im so accustomed to that.
Anyway, i don't use any social media. My facebook is still the same, nothing on it besides my birthday and name. No instagram. No twitter. No tumblr. I feel like no one remembers me so i don't want to use anything because it'd be embarassing. Also, after losing my friends twice, i have no confidence. Sure, I thought many times about going on facebook, beginning to constantly accept my 25 friend requests and then continue on to adding like 200 to 400 people, but i feel like i just can't. I'm worried that people will laugh at me for having 100-200 friends while they all have around 800! I really want to do something with my life because besides going to school, i do nothing. No updates to check or anything and i have the iphone 5. What should i do? My life feels crappy, and i just want to be happy again. I can't get myself to just add people on facebook, i know for sure many remember me, but still. Someone help me please?

- T-Dog - 03-22-2014 10:54 PM

I've been burned by social media many times. I learned to live without it. I'm pretty successful at work and consider myself street smart. I dont need friends who rely on social media even though many do use it.
Be smart...if you fly under the radar people will have more respect for you.