Twitist Forums
What's the best free program/site/etc. for an aspiring writer on a PC? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: What's the best free program/site/etc. for an aspiring writer on a PC? (/thread-113178.html)

What's the best free program/site/etc. for an aspiring writer on a PC? - Isaac Elkins - 03-24-2014 10:11 AM

I'm not necessarily an aspiring writer (As you might see from my atrocious sentence structure) but I'd like something on my computer that I could write anything from a research paper for school to an entire novel with convenience. Something that I could organize a bunch of small writings on if I wanted to. Something that I could easily use with a printer in case I want a physical copy. And maybe a community feature that would allow me to say... publish a fanfic right after I write it and see what a bunch of strangers think of it. Is there anything that matches my description fairly well or maybe has features I haven't even mentioned that would be cool? Thanks in advance for any kind of answer you might have. My computer runs Windows 8 if that matters.

- Seth - 03-24-2014 10:16 AM

Google Drive has a great online office suite for free. Exports multiple document formats, prints and shares easily.

- P - 03-24-2014 10:25 AM

I recommend you look at GoogleDocs and LibreOffice for free office productivity software.

You can take these files and put them into various social media sites.

I doubt there is any one site that will cover all off your needs.

- Athena - 03-24-2014 10:33 AM

I am sorry to hear about the "Windows 8" thing. I hope that your writing career does well despite that hindrance.

I also recommend LibreOffice for your writing needs. If later you decide to go into more specific writing, like screenplays, you might want to invest in a more task specific word processor. But for now, all you needs can be met with LO.