Twitist Forums
Is it a good or bad idea to use an actual profile picture of yourself? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Is it a good or bad idea to use an actual profile picture of yourself? (/thread-115671.html)

Is it a good or bad idea to use an actual profile picture of yourself? - Pavel - 03-24-2014 10:54 AM

On this site.

- I SAID!! - 03-24-2014 10:55 AM

I wouldn't.

It can comeback to you in a really bad way.

You see, I'm just here to share a few meaningless thoughts, I'm not here to make friends.

Get it?

Got it?

Good!

- Aurora Borealis - 03-24-2014 10:56 AM

I'd say it really doesn't matter, but it leans towards bad, because I got some creepy emails when I did.

- Alexis - 03-24-2014 10:58 AM

Bad some one could recognize you

- Will - 03-24-2014 11:07 AM

The answer is a matter of personal preference and what the individual feels comfortable with. It also depends on the intended application of the media. Those who use social media may find themselves subjected to unintended harassment or scrutiny resulting from their activities, and a cautious person would think twice about using their own photo in the profile.

If the person intends to use social media in a neutral way just to stay in touch with family and friends, it should not be a problem. However, if they are going to engage in public debate, opinion, or conversations it might be better to choose a different photo.