Twitist Forums
What if Bush had succeeded in flipping social security to the stock market? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: What if Bush had succeeded in flipping social security to the stock market? (/thread-117972.html)

Pages: 1 2

What if Bush had succeeded in flipping social security to the stock market? - jesswzmn - 03-24-2014 11:38 AM

if the market is so much better, why not let the govt take the money and play the market with it but have the govt give guaranteed pensions to the people. In other words the risk would be bourne by the the govt... you know they can promise a rate of return of 8% but they may earn 10% and keep the diff. if they only earn 5% and have to still pay out 8% ...thats the govt's problem for not being good enough in playing the market.

lol

- Jimi - 03-24-2014 11:47 AM

Bush is stupid!

- Joel R - 03-24-2014 11:52 AM

I would be grateful. People over the age of 50 were never candidates for privatization. Due to that we would not have a problem.

I'm 21 and paying into a 'fund' that I'll never get to use. Am I supposed to be happy about that?

- Aliz - 03-24-2014 11:57 AM

It won't happen because he doesn't have the right to do it and it is less than two weeks until Obama gets sworn in as the President.
I get less than poverty level now. If it went to stock market my payment would have gone down and I'd be starving.

- Catch22 - 03-24-2014 12:02 PM

Putting a portion of social security in the stock market is a long term fix, younger people would reep the benefits of this. True, had a portion of social security been dumped in the market a few years ago, it would be bad now. But in 30 years when I'm retiring, the market will be well beyond where it is now.

- gaby - 03-24-2014 12:09 PM

I would love it! I trust me with my money a lot more than I trust the government. Money in the government is just another black hole.

I am old, so my investments are in very conservative funds. I am making money now. Is the government making any now?

Get the facts, stupid!

The fact is that even if I had put all the money I paid to SS in bonds and money market cash funds, I would get more money back than Social Security.

- angels_harp_2000 - 03-24-2014 12:12 PM

It would have been the GREATEST thing that ever happened for "poor" people.

Remember, his plan was to allow a SMALL PORTION of your SSI to be invested in the Market, AND you would have been limited to SELECT (safest) investment choices.

This would have been the GREATEST accomplishment to help "po folk" participate in the "American dream" and the "loopholes" (I hate that word) that successful people use to increase their wealth.

THANK THE DEMOCRATS for defeating SSI Privatization and KEEPING dem po folk on the DNC plantation and DEPENDENT on the government.

- RU Quazee - 03-24-2014 12:13 PM

Not much. There's actually no money in the 'fund' as it is. All 'IOU's'. The politicians long ago couldn't keep their paws off the money, it's all a ponzi scheme just like the dude on Wall street, only we can't put the politicians in jail (just yet) for the same scheme running on our 'retirement' funds.
You can bet that no one under the age of 25 now will ever see a dime of the current social security scheme.

- Hey there - 03-24-2014 12:19 PM

I guess my mother would have to move in with me... I'm so glad that didn't happen.

- janice h - 03-24-2014 12:27 PM

The stock market will rebound. The Bush plan did not include anyone over 50 and so the older ones among us would still receive social security. The plan was not to take all the social security money and put it into the stock market only part which would have given those younger workers the advantage of some secure money as well as the advantage of the greater money in the stock market.
I am almost 62 and I know that social security will run out before I die and maybe before I retire at 66 so just how secure am I? That is why I have scrimped and saved to have money when I retire and why I will work as long as possible to make that money last.