Twitist Forums
Poll: Do you want to save PBS or do you not care? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Pages (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Poll: Do you want to save PBS or do you not care? (/thread-12030.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- ms manners - 10-15-2012 08:19 PM

PBS doesn't need "saving".

It can survive on its own without government funding....it gets private donations, money from its member stations, and money from merchandizing. Plus, as a non-profit, I would imagine it is not required to pay taxes.

It might have made sense to give it government support back in the 70s, but with the advent of the internet, there is no shortage of free educational entertainment for children.
LOL....if grade points are decreasing when PBS is still funded, then PBS is not helping. That is a good argument for eliminating it.

Logic has obviously suffered the last couple of years, as well.

- Busama - 10-15-2012 08:19 PM

I am totally against losing PBS. The hypocrisy is OVERWHELMING. We know, and advertise that our grade point averages have decreased in the last couple of years, that more and more kids are dropping out, yet PEOPLE want PBS gone.

Never for a moment have I heard any politicians talking about making a broadcasting chan. that teaches everyone things they learn in school all day every day. I would even say we need more than one chan. for this. We continue to fail to use technology to our best interests.

How can a world without broadcast education be WORSE!! Take any group of people and let them watch south park, family guy, american dad, and all that other cartoon and disney s* and compare them to a group where they watch things like PBS and Discovery. You get a group that curses, and are ignoramuses, and another prepared and ready to excel in our system of education.

I would give my life to know children were being more educated than they are today.

- adeline - 10-15-2012 08:19 PM

DO you want your money going to support a tv and radio station? If I could choose between spending my money on wars that cannot be won, corporate bailouts, stimulus programs, and the like, or spending less than 1% on PBS, I would choose funding PBS. It amazes me how upset people have become to the idea of not funding a tv station, but say very little about losing over 2000 American lives in Afghanistan.

- Lowly - 10-15-2012 08:19 PM

Save Big Bird Page? Really? Is there a save Oscar the Grouch page, too?

- Sweet love - 10-15-2012 08:19 PM

I don't even know why it was even brought up by this fake candidate. He has no credibility.

- . Smith - 10-15-2012 08:19 PM

The entire goal of PBS is to offer programming not based on ratings,but on supplying arts in many forms for the overall health of the population.PBS is a station that does not have to answer to advertisers,and there fore can be free to present things we may have little are no avenue to see and learn about.We must save PBS for many reasons.And for romney to suggest that we have to borrow from china for everything is a fear tactic.PBS costs are so small in relation to the budget that you need a microscope to find those costs.I believe it is .000002% of the annual budget.I'm sure my numbers are not precise,i think it is even less than i have stated.But they offer richness to our society.My children grew up watching Sesame street,and i hope children continue to have this wonderful learning based show.Good luck to you.