Twitist Forums
Will you get sued if you make accessories from famous logos like Twitter, Facebook, etc. and sell on Etsy.com? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Will you get sued if you make accessories from famous logos like Twitter, Facebook, etc. and sell on Etsy.com? (/thread-121106.html)

Will you get sued if you make accessories from famous logos like Twitter, Facebook, etc. and sell on Etsy.com? - i - 03-24-2014 04:51 PM

Will you REALLY get sued if you make accessories like earrings or necklaces based from famous logos like Twitter, Facebook, etc. and sell them online like Etsy.com? I got on the Twitter brand assets and usage guidelines and from the Merchandise section, caught this:

"Use the Twitter name, the Twitter bird, Tweet, or any other confusingly similar marks on any apparel, product, toy, or any other merchandise."

But from what I understand is that it may not allow usage of the logo to represent another company. Ex: Making a mug, marking it with a different logo, but it is just used to "make a sale" or just a promotion gig.. Something like that.

- fantomazz - 03-24-2014 05:01 PM

If its not YOUR brand, its illegal to use it to promote selling stuff.

- Ryan - 03-24-2014 05:08 PM

Legally speaking, Usage of the specific logo or name of a company for profit can result in a lawsuit if royalties or some other commiseration are not met, however, if selling something on Etsy that merely looks similar to a company logo would hardly be worth said company's legal department's time, unless you're making thousands of dollars on it. Most companies prefer to regard as free advertising, but I can't speak for all companies.

- Arthur - 03-24-2014 05:12 PM

you might. you might not.

- anonymous - 03-24-2014 05:19 PM

You'd get a not to friendly "cease and desist" letter from the companies' lawyers. If you stopped, you wouldn't get sued. If you didn't, it depends on how busy their lawyers are.