Twitist Forums
Are you over 40 y/old and attending an online university for your first time? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook profile (/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Are you over 40 y/old and attending an online university for your first time? (/thread-121968.html)

Are you over 40 y/old and attending an online university for your first time? - Coach Bryan, The Plumbing Co - 03-26-2014 01:34 AM

What is your experience with this type of (online) education? Are you attending for a degree, our first one? How long do you estimate before you obtain a degree and what is your estimated total tuition? Business/Accounting specifically, or other.

Also, would this be the best option for someone who is NOT trying to become degreed, but just for the purpose of further education / training in a particular field?

- E - 03-26-2014 01:44 AM

Actually, that's me. I took some online accounting courses just for continuing education when I was around 40. I somehow had already found myself working in that field even though I have no degree or certification in it. (My major at a 4-year university was Mathematics.)

Tuition of course varies from school to school. I don't really really call what I paid. Maybe $250 a class?

You have to have self-discipline to do well in online classes. You need to go to the school website and do your assignments *before* getting distracted by Facebook or youTube or whatever else.

It depends on your learning style if it is the 'best option'. Some people like to have an actual teacher/professor so that they can ask questions if they don't understand something. You don't really get that with online classes.