Twitist Forums
I need some help? (Preferably from a parent or an older sibling) What would you do in a situation like this?!? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter abbreviations (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: I need some help? (Preferably from a parent or an older sibling) What would you do in a situation like this?!? (/thread-124751.html)

Pages: 1 2

I need some help? (Preferably from a parent or an older sibling) What would you do in a situation like this?!? - The Mystic - 04-04-2014 02:31 PM

Okay so my little sister is 12 and i'm 17.
My sister made a twitter account and told me not to tell mom about it, so i agreed with her. Although she doesn't know that i check up on it everyday. I keep my sisters secrets because i want her to know she can confide in me, however i saw something on her twitter account earlier that i did not like and i think i should tell my mom, however i don't want my sister to think she can't trust me.
She tweeted, on a public account which she has more than 3 thousand followers on that my mom's boyfriend just got out of jail and he's abusing my little sister again. My mom's boyfriend is such a lovely man and has never touched a hair on my sisters head (they haven't even been in a room alone together!) And he's never been to jail either! She's tweeting this on a public twitter account!
I want to tell my mom, but i don't want to break my sisters trust. But my mom has always told me that between me and my little sister, i'm the responsible adult which means i have to make the right decisions.
I need some help here, how should i go about it? I don't wanna just ignore it because making up false things like that online can get someone into a lot of trouble!

- AA - 04-04-2014 02:34 PM

dont tell youre mom, is clearly a joke, just talk to your sister and sort it out with her

- -kittylover- - 04-04-2014 02:45 PM

Tell your Mum. Not telling her could get your Mum and her BF in trouble so do tell her. Your sister shouldn't have put that up in the first place so telling on her is right.

- john - 04-04-2014 02:56 PM

Say you came across looking at her "public" account and what you saw was completely false and needs to end or you'll tell mom. Warn her, you don't wanna lose trust but no means no, so I would mention it to her, talk about it and if she lies and all that, than your last plan is to go tell.

- Mr.Herriman - 04-04-2014 03:08 PM

Scold your sister and don't tell your mom. Why? You win in both ways, you show how responsible you are as an adult and you also keep you sisters promise. But if your sister still keeps it up, tell your mom.

- â™  Merlin â™  - 04-04-2014 03:09 PM

take a screen shot, and email it to your mom from a throw away account
dont say its you
just send it to her so she can see what your sister has been saying

either way this is VERY damaging
if its true, your sister needs help
if its not, the man in question deserves privacy, this could destroy him

take the screen shot NOW
and email it NOW

you do right by not betraying her confidence as she would never confide in you again
but you NEED to sort this, today

good luck

- jackie m - 04-04-2014 03:18 PM

Talk to your sister and explain that all twitter pages are read and if there is anything that is illegal or puts someone in danger then their computer IP address is passed on to the local police in your area for investigation. I don't have a twitter account but I know a bit about it but don't know if she can just delete it or if it stays there but she could go on to twitter and ask people what they thought about what she wrote as she is trying to write a story and need opinions. If you told mum she will get very angry and ban the computer but the twitter info will still be there, Good Luck

- Natasha - 04-04-2014 03:27 PM

Talk to your sister and ask her to stop doing such things. Try to make her understand that this is definitely not the right thing to do especially when the person she is tweeting about is good and also tell her that these false accuses would give her unnecessary attention for a while but family is forever. If she doesn't understand and continues to do so, tell your mom. But ask her not to be harsh on her. Because at this age, she might interpret things wrongly and might go the wrong way which would be problematic. I hope this helps.

- Monica - 04-04-2014 03:42 PM

You NEED to get your sister to remove that post. You need to beat it into her head that she CANNOT say those things over the internet, your parents can get in so much trouble. Give her a fair warning, and even threaten her privileges of having a Twitter account.

- Helen - 04-04-2014 03:54 PM

A lot of abusers 'pretend' to be nice. It's how they get away with it. Even if he's never been to jail, you can't say for a fact that he definitely isn't abusing her (even if it seems unlikely).
Either way, a very serious claim has been made and it needs to be addressed.
If your sister IS telling the truth, then she needs help, and your mum's boyfriend needs to be reported.
If she's lying (which I agree is probably the most likely scenario, given that she lied about him being in prison), then she needs to be disciplined very strongly about how dangerous such lies can be, and what damage they can do.
It's understandable you don't want to lose your sister's trust, but if her account is public, then you're covered. Anyone can read information that is posted in a public domain, and with so many followerers, it's likely that somoene who knows her or your family may read it. Your mum stands to find out anyway from someone else, so you NEED to tell her.
You can always ask your mum to keep quiet about who she found out from.
There's also the other option of talking to your sister yourself. Let her know that you read what she wrote and that she can't go around making up false claims as it can get people into trouble. Ask why she did it, and ask her to remove it and own up on Twitter that it was made up. You keep her trust, your mum doesn't have to find out, and everyone's happy. But if you do this, you need to be very clear with her and say all the right things. Tell her you don't want to lose her trust so you're giving her the opportunity to do the right thing, because what she wrote was serious, and if she doesn't take it down, you're left with no choice but to tell your mum. If you don't think you can handle it yourself or explain in the right way, then you are better off telling your mum and asking her not to say that it was you.
Those are your two options, but either way, you must do something before this gets even more out of hand and reputations get ruined.