Twitist Forums
Can you sue someone for using your picture as an advertisement? Or selling the image for download? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook ads (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Can you sue someone for using your picture as an advertisement? Or selling the image for download? (/thread-125182.html)

Can you sue someone for using your picture as an advertisement? Or selling the image for download? - zxyelenaxz - 04-06-2014 03:04 AM

I have had fake accounts of me created on myspace and facebook and tried not to pay attention. Now I saw that there is an advertisement for a website offering Russian bride services with my picture on it. There is also a picture of me available for download (which you have to pay for) on virgin mobil. Is there anything I can do?

Thank you

- Northwestern Grad - 04-06-2014 03:16 AM

wow are u serious...no joke u really might be able to get some money..thats a felony!!

- Summer - 04-06-2014 03:20 AM

If you were asked no permission for your photos, then yes you can sue.

- jjt - 04-06-2014 03:30 AM

find out whose doing it an sue them you do have a case

- LordDiavante - 04-06-2014 03:38 AM

If you have your picutre copyright protected or patenet than yes, you can sue, and you can win. Another factor is they took a photo of yours without asking for permission.

- Pagan Dan - 04-06-2014 03:41 AM

It depends where you live. Canadian law tends to confine itself to compensation for damages, whereas American courts are more likely to award punitive damages. I recommend consulting a lawyer in your jurisdiction. However, I doubt if you have much of case unless you can prove that you have been financially or otherwise harmed.

- Ami - 04-06-2014 03:55 AM

i believe it falls under "intellectual copyright" ... as well, if you didn't give your permission for your picture to be used, then absolutely you are able to file a lawsuit against whomever is doing it... just be sure to get legal advice from a good lawyer Smile