Twitist Forums
What does the pound sign mean when it is used in a sentence? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter Hashtag (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What does the pound sign mean when it is used in a sentence? (/thread-126348.html)

What does the pound sign mean when it is used in a sentence? - thedfordbyrum - 04-08-2014 04:14 AM

Lately I have been seeing this symbol (#) used in several different places. Why are people doing this?

- Tippi - 04-08-2014 04:19 AM

I thought that was a hash symbol and meant among other things 'number'.

- John P - 04-08-2014 04:23 AM

In Britain we call that sign "hash". In Britain the sign "£" is a pound sign, meaning our major unit of corrency, slightly larger in value than the dollar or euro - e.g. £100 means one hundred British pounds. I think that Americans call "#" 'the pound sign' or sometimes 'octothorpe'. In American notation "#" means 'number, as in "He lives at #57 in this street". In Britain we use "No." for 'number' as above noted (No.57).

- DeathDealer - 04-08-2014 04:27 AM

Hash tag.

- mtwelles - 04-08-2014 04:28 AM

They're used as hashtags, which are a way to search for related messages by just searching for the hashtag. On Twitter, if you want to find messages about gay marriage, search for #gaymarriage and you'll find many messages about gay marriage.

In other social media like Facebook, people sometimes use hashtags as a sort of aside, the kind that otherwise would be in parentheses:

Common: My car broke down and I was late for work (Worst day ever).

Newer use with hashtags: My car broke down and I was late for work. #worstdayever

- Alexis - 04-08-2014 04:36 AM

That's a number sign. It's technical name is an octothorpe. It's also known as a hash sign.

This is a pound sign: £

As for what it means, that really depends on the context. You would have to provide an example for us to tell what someone meant by using it.