Twitist Forums
How to get the word out about a new business? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter marketing (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: How to get the word out about a new business? (/thread-127991.html)

How to get the word out about a new business? - Lady Six Sky - 04-08-2014 04:42 AM

My mother was unemployed but really needed another job. When she went to the store to buy something she ended up talking to the owner and as it turned out the lady owns the rec center next door too. The owner never payed much attention to it, just rented it out for weddings once in a while, but recently decided to try and expand upon it.

My mother has some history in marketing but it was mostly for apartments. But the lady talked to my mother today and decided to let my mother give it a try. She will be an independent contractor and won't make any money unless it gets rented out/used for some purpose.
My mom is going to have it cleaned out, but beyond that we don't know what to do. I know there's twitter and that, but not much else. The owner is willing to invest money into advertising but she is leaving the methods up to my mother. I guess what I'm trying to say is what do we need to do to make it a success?
We don't know how this stuff works or what to do but we need to make it work or else we'll have to stay a burden on my grandma, who we've been staying with, permanently.

- onelove898 - 04-08-2014 04:50 AM

Facebook, newspaper ad , word of mouth

- cheavalroi - 04-08-2014 04:56 AM

Starting with word of mouth advert and newspaper ads looks like the best option for you here.

- alval04 - 04-08-2014 04:59 AM

Advertise in local places around your area such as churches, universities and malls. Point out the equipment used in the rec center and why people would or should be interested in going there.

- Vrs - 04-08-2014 05:07 AM

First, I'd post ad on Craigslist in whatever you believe would be the appropriate category, perhaps commercial real estate, sale/ rent /lease, etc.. I'd also take some pictures and upload them with the ad because people will notice and click on ads from the list if they see it has an image. Before writing the ad itself I'd brainstorm with a few trusted friends or people in business you respect and think of some of the different uses that could be made of the place. The best ones could be included in the ad. Then I'd look for ads others have placed to advertise property and steal some ideas from what you see them doing. Look for the most successful examples you can find to model. If your mother has marketing experience she'll know the main thing you want to do is sell benefits - not features. Features are secondary.

Next, you could google local classified ads/news, etc. by using a geo-modifier, e.g., classified + name of your town, and local news + name of your town and any other local online searches you can think of that would apply to what you're trying to do.

Just get creative. Ask yourself who you know who has experience in this. I wouldn't get too specific unless it's someone you absolutely trust so they don't steal your business.

As for the independent contractor agreement I'd make sure I was protected in that the compensation and terms were clearly spelled out with specifics.

Hope that helps. Get creative - you can do it! Oh yeah, you can also have flyers made out listing all the potential benefits of the place you're trying to rent/sell/lease or whatever. Keep them with you and give them out when you go to your dry cleaners, eat out, get your hair done, etc.

Good luck!