Twitist Forums
What do you think of Facebook and Instagram deleting the posts of people who are trying to sell firearms? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: What do you think of Facebook and Instagram deleting the posts of people who are trying to sell firearms? (/thread-129354.html)

Pages: 1 2

What do you think of Facebook and Instagram deleting the posts of people who are trying to sell firearms? - Glacierwolf - 04-08-2014 06:26 PM

Link to the just now breaking story is below.

Part of our 2nd Ammendment right is the ability to buy, sell and trade used guns without fear of government infringement.

Imagine if you had a right - non discrimination.......lets say you were black...... and somebody pressured Facebook and Instagram to delete your posts based on the color of your skin - that would be wrong. And not tolerated. So why is it 'ok' to do it to the second amendment and gun owners.

Link Here:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/facebook-instagram-to-begin-deleting-illegal-gun-sales-78661808683.html
Do you think this will make gun owners and hunters look less favorable in the eyes of social media? I recall years ago when EBay when anti-gun rabid with new policies....... anti-gun people went through the Sports section with a fine tooth comb 'Reporting' every auction that had a picture of a gun or something that looked like one. Eventually EBay tired of the abuse and relaxed the rules..... but the venom of the anti's were quite evident.

- Mike Sharp - 04-08-2014 06:35 PM

Its stupid as hell, but last time I checked. Facebook was a social network, not a sport

- cooingmom613 - 04-08-2014 06:36 PM

Not shocked. Google already bans firearms related ads as does Yahoo (I Believe). They're businesses and are free to control content with zero fear of punishment unless that content is directly related to aberrant behavior and "alternative" life styles.

Hell many local newspapers won't even accept ads for gun sales nowdays.

Ahh I remember the bad old days of E-Bay. I had a dust cover for a FN/FAL for sale and they pulled the ad because it was for an "assault" weapon. Other folks would have a "mauser barrel" for sale with the action still attached and E-Bay ignored it.

- Ben - 04-08-2014 06:38 PM

I don't really care. People shouldn't be selling guns on Facebook, and Facebook is a private corporation allowed to make whatever arbitrary rules it wants.

Hell, Craigslist has been doing this for years and nobody complains.

To them, allowing something that has an easy avenue to abuse and legal issues (since nobody on Facebook can verify that the other can purchase a firearm just through Facebook) is a liability that Facebook has no gain in.

Last thing I want is the next Cho to have purchased his weapons anonymously from a social network site, causing gun laws closing private sales to come like rain.

- lana_sands - 04-08-2014 06:46 PM

I'll play dissenting view.
The firms may just be playing it legally safe. They do not want to face the issues over illegal gun sales. It is their system, they are free to make the rules for good or bad.

- Paul - 04-08-2014 06:49 PM

keep up with the latest news. facebook has issued a statement concerning this, they are NOT closing out any gun sales pages. all they did was suggest pages conduct business in a lawful manner according to each state's laws,

- me - 04-08-2014 06:53 PM

That is exactly why millions of Americans are afraid of guns. No public awareness equals no understanding, and people always fear what they don't understand. I truly have to wonder what they think a world without guns would be like. After all, the most violent time in human history was between 3000 BCE and 500 CE, well before the invention of gunpowder.

- Tex - 04-08-2014 07:01 PM

You're really reaching for something to get upset about there, GW. I don't give a hoot what FB does. It's no skin off my balls.

- Lime Green Medic - 04-08-2014 07:04 PM

Facebook is trying to shoot themselves in the foot.

Have you noticed a trend among leftist organizations? Suck everyone in with an open invitation and little to no rules, until such point as there is enough of a clientele to make a difference, and then suddenly jack the liberty loving ones?

Happened with eBay. Now it's happening with FB. Has it happened anywhere else?

Is anyone else seeing this pattern?

- BigHammer - 04-08-2014 07:07 PM

It's all about feel-good stuff and the bottom line on the balance sheet. They will claim it has to do with regulations, making America safer, blah, blah, blah. But it's just a song and dance to appease advertisers. Is it wrong? I think it's unethical and violates freedom of speech, but the owners of facebook are just that...the owners. No one is forcing people to have a facebook account.