Twitist Forums
UK & European users - "Mr" or "Mrs" in the E-mail display name? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: UK & European users - "Mr" or "Mrs" in the E-mail display name? (/thread-133909.html)

UK & European users - "Mr" or "Mrs" in the E-mail display name? - Ted Pack - 04-08-2014 08:07 PM

Whenever I get an e-mail from "Mr Thurston Banks" or "Mrs. Emma Roberts" I know it is from some scam artist in Nigeria. Here in the USA, none of my e-mail correspondents use any title in their display name, with two exceptions - ministers use "Rev" and officers in the armed services and Salvation Army will use their rank when they are writing from their work e-mail account. The rest don't use "Mr", "Mrs". I know a couple of physicians from high school, and they don't use "Dr".

I wondered if it was common to use "Mr" or "Mrs" in your e-mail display name in the UK or Europe. The only time I can think it would matter would be if your name could be male or female; "Pat" is the most common example in the USA.

Related question - have you ever corresponded with someone who was "Sir John Smith" or better - a Duke or an Earl? Did they use it in their display name?
-------------
It would help me if you put your home country. Nothing more revealing, just your home country. Thanks.

- Frank - 04-08-2014 08:12 PM

I think only scammers use Mr. & Ms.

- Kittysue - 04-08-2014 08:17 PM

I've never seen anyone in the UK use their title in an email or email address. They would be John Doe or Jane Doe, not Mr John Doe or Engr. Jane Doe
I have friends who are doctors who don't even use their title in their email address unless its the hospital's domain