Twitist Forums
How to delete Internet Explorer completely? Usual fixes have not worked.? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: How to delete Internet Explorer completely? Usual fixes have not worked.? (/thread-135919.html)

Pages: 1 2

How to delete Internet Explorer completely? Usual fixes have not worked.? - David - 04-08-2014 08:44 PM

I want to because it keeps on running in the background (and despite several antivirus, malware and rootkit detection programs being run, I cannot find what's responsible), and if I can't find what's causing it, I'll stop it doing whatever it's trying to do.

I have followed the usual route of looking in the view installed updates, it's not there, I have tried the turning windows features on and off, that just comes up with an empty box, I have given myself full controls over the Internet Explorer folder in the program files, but apparently I need permission from myself to delete it (well done which ever idiot designed that feature) despite the fact that i am the owner and the administrator for the computer. It's not in the programs list for me to find (both the one in the control panel and the one in the start menu), and there is no uninstaller.

Any help that isn't referring me to the above 'solutions' would be greatly appreciated. I'm running windows 7.
Byron - That's what i just said I couldn't do....
George - Great submission, but unfortunatly didn't work
Jimmie Rustles - That also means that no other browser could connect either, it seems that's a universal control, not IE specfic.
Computer Technician - I thought reading would be useful in your job, then you would have seen why I want to delete it... It's literally in the first sentance of the information.

- Byron - 04-08-2014 08:45 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

- Mr. Sonny - 04-08-2014 08:46 PM

Install IE 8 or 9 & it will automatically be deleted.

- tati e - 04-08-2014 08:50 PM

control pannel>add/remove (installed)programs/>internet explorer.... then hit remove program. if that doesnt work you might have to shred the file completely. but it should work. there should be an uninstallation wizard. this is once again if you have a PC which im assuming you do because mac's dont really get viruses.

- george - 04-08-2014 08:57 PM

On a computer, when you create an account, you don't actually get an Administrator account. The highest level administrator is by default disabled automatically so people don't accidentally mess with super important files. If you really want to however, (I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING), you can refer to this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

After doing that, log in with the new account, and try deleting it again. Hope I helped!

- Jimmie Rustles - 04-08-2014 09:06 PM

http://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Internet-Explorer-Completely try that, or just right click on the internet explorer logo and delete it and you can disable it so it doesn't get a connection by doing this.
1. opening internet explorer
2. click on tools
3.click on internet options
4. click connections tab
5. click lan settings
6. then click use a proxy server option
7. then just type some random numbers into the address box like "84384383483834"
8. press okay and this will stop internet explorer from poping up ad's or other stuff.
9. download firefox

- Wicked - 04-08-2014 09:11 PM

You could do a search for the file iexplore.exe and delete it. Or download JV16 Powertools and delete anything with internet explorer

- Unluckypickle557 - 04-08-2014 09:12 PM

I would never recommend to uninstall Internet explorer.
If you don't like it and don't want to use it, then just don't
use it.

- Smokies Hiker - 04-08-2014 09:21 PM

It would have been nice if you had said what Windows OS you're running. There has been problems with IE11 and Windows 8 & 8.1 . Since Internet Explorer is a Windows Program, you need to find it in your Windows "Update History" and delete it from there. You need to have control over your Windows Updates or you'll get IE right back again in a Windows Update. You'll need to look for Windows Updates manually through another browser you have installed.

- Marduk - 04-08-2014 09:23 PM

IE is an integral part of Windows, it can't be uninstalled or Windows will not run correctly. This came up in a court case years ago.