Twitist Forums
Do I need to post a disclaimer on my blog? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: SEO Search Engine Optimization (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Do I need to post a disclaimer on my blog? (/thread-137400.html)

Do I need to post a disclaimer on my blog? - Katie - 04-08-2014 09:28 PM

I recently created a free blog and I need to know what i;m doing is legal. My blog consists of posting freebies around them web (Which includes links to the freebies), ways to make money online, money saving tips, sweepstakes/coupons/contests(Includes posting links to sweepstakes,coupons, and contests), etc. Do I need to post a disclaimer that I am not being paid to advertise products, freebies, contests, sweepstakes, etc? I come across a lot of these kind of blogs and I just want to make sure i'm not breaking any laws. Can you give me any advice as to still manage my blog legally? Thanks!

- Laura - 04-08-2014 09:36 PM

You may want to post a disclaimer that you are not affiliated with the companies who are doing the promotions and you cannot guarantee their validity.

If your site starts making a profit (by running ads perhaps) you should invest in a lawyer to review your website's legal terms. Until then, look at some similar sites to yours and see what their terms are. You can use them as a reference to write yours.

- Peter Nikolow - 04-08-2014 09:45 PM

No, no need to run such disclaimer. This is granted in First Amendment to the United States Constitution as "freedom of speech".

- Oscar Austin - 04-08-2014 09:48 PM

You can if you want to, but unless you are directly writing a review about a specific product or service, then you really don't have to as far as I understand.