Twitist Forums
Twitter is confusing me. Help!? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter DirectMessage DM (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Twitter is confusing me. Help!? (/thread-1384.html)

Twitter is confusing me. Help!? - Brigid - 10-01-2012 01:34 AM

I just joined twitter and i've been using it and getting more familiar with it. I'm just confused about what a few things mean. If anyone could explain these things to me, that would be greatt =]

1. What does the @ symbol do in tweets? I assume that you put another twitter user after the @ and it shows as a direct message to them... is that right? But is that used if you want to leave a message for someone, like writing on someone's facebook wall? Or does that not happen?

2. What does the # symbol mean? I can't figure this one out.

I'm pretty sure that's it... but if you have anything else to add, please let me know. Thanks

- Mooga - 10-01-2012 01:42 AM

@ means that you are directing a tweet at someone. For example if you said "What are some good movies to see?" I would respond with @yournamehere You should see The Matrix!

# is called a Hash and is used for popular trends to make then easier to search for. So you might say "I can't wait till I go see #starwars"

- techmom - 10-01-2012 01:42 AM

@ means the person's user name you are sending it to. The # symbol means the topic that is being discussed (like a message board discussing Micheal Jackson)

- Shelby J - 10-01-2012 01:42 AM

theyre right