Twitist Forums
Wireless internet keeps dropping? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Wireless internet keeps dropping? (/thread-141544.html)

Wireless internet keeps dropping? - Amanda T - 04-20-2014 08:32 PM

So we have a few computers which work fine and the internet rarely ever drops on them. The one computer however is a desktop computer so I have to plug in a wireless stick to get it to work. I have used this on other computers and it worked well but this one drops every couple minutes. It's a d-link and the model number is DWA-130. Is there anyway to fix this?

- Fred - 04-20-2014 08:38 PM

Always 8se these on an extension cable to get them high above the desk for good reception.

- Hary - 04-20-2014 08:44 PM

get a wireless card into the computer. that may solve the issue.

- Adam S - 04-20-2014 08:49 PM

I believe your problem would be the security you are using on the router. I had this problem for a long time and always thought it was distance or interference. It turned out that the router had WPA-PSK AES security but my desktop network card was only compatible with WEP security. I changed the router to a WEP password and Bob's your Uncle.

If it is an older desktop i would put money on this being the problem.

- Boss - 04-20-2014 09:01 PM

Make sure your not out of range.

- Mr. Tech - 04-20-2014 09:07 PM

All you need to do it to change your WiFi broadcasting channel. Open up your router`s setup by entering the default gateway IP, enter username password if prompted ->go to WiFi or Wireless Lan setting and make sure that broadcasting is b/g/n mixed mode, then check what broadcasting channel is selected starting from 1 to 11/13, in case of extreme start or end make in middle like 6 or 7 and in case of any middle number like 6 to 8 make it either 10 or 3. By changing the broadcasting channel shall hopefully stop any interference with other frequencies. Good Luck