Twitist Forums
Is Google the most unethical company out there? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter marketing (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Is Google the most unethical company out there? (/thread-14415.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is Google the most unethical company out there? - FizzyBubbler Lives Forever! - 10-15-2012 09:04 PM

In 2006, Google agreed to censor itself to get a piece of the Chinese market. Sold it's soul to the devil in other terms. Through the years, Google got mad because the Chinese intermittently would block Facebook, Twitter and YouTube (all owned by Google), and one day last year they shut them all off and never let them back online. Google wasn't making any money. A few weeks ago Google announced it would stop censoring itself and if China didn't like it, they'd pull out. Their deadline was last Tuesday. They're still in China, and they're still censored. It was clearly a power play with Beijing to get their biggest money-makers like Facebook and YouTube back online making money / free advertising.

Many companies are unethical, but isn't Google particularly unethical for using this issue to further it's profits?
Liuzhou Laowai: You say Google is not censored in China and I'm in fairyland? Hahaha good one.

- Jenk - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

Google is all about the money, ethics take a back seat. They do have a slide and ball pool in some offices though. I think this makes up for it.

- black leopard - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

one of the most, there are more like them out there.

- Mightyhat810 - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

I guess is better than nothing.

- John Galt - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

Do you know that if you compose an email in GMail, it sends your keystrokes over the internet to Google, unencrypted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg7pVFVqMMg

- Peppermint Patty - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

I don't know about "unethical" - several online service providers play footsy with the Chinese secret police. But Google sure hasn't done their credibility any favors.

- me - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

China is crazy. Google should mind their own business elsewhere. Nice choice of words with "pull out".

- Visualhorse836 - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

Here's something more scary. Google and Yahoo are working together

- Meg - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

Companies are in business to make money not to further human rights. Compared to the many companies who have promoted slave labor and corruption in other countries Google's lack of action is very mild. Despite what the supreme court says corporations are not persons and they do not have a moral code so expecting ethical behavior is unrealistic.

- repub destroyer - 10-15-2012 09:12 PM

Show one major company that puts its people and customers before profit and stock holders, and executive pay. I know profit pays the bills, but you could have a little compassion.