Twitist Forums
How to say it in Portuguese when the ^object^ has not yet been defined.? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: How to say it in Portuguese when the ^object^ has not yet been defined.? (/thread-146743.html)

How to say it in Portuguese when the ^object^ has not yet been defined.? - Sam - 04-28-2014 03:29 AM

I understand to use ele and ela to say "it" depending on whether the it is a masculine or feminine object. However what would one do if the object had not yet been defined. For example if a sentence were to begin...

It was Tuesday and he had already seen it twice. Is it possible to do this or must the object be defined first??

*Also I realise I am posting some quite specific portuguese questions on a general Language yahoo answers section. Does anybody know of any good forums for learning portuguese, free if possible.

Thanks
Sam

- Aegle - 04-28-2014 03:38 AM

The object must be defined.
In that sentence it could be "o" or "a".
Sorry, I don't know any forum.

- Susana - 04-28-2014 03:39 AM

If there was a bit of context, it would be easier to answer this. But I guess you could translate that sentence like this:"era terça-feira e ele já tinha visto duas vezes.", omitting the "it" that appears in the original sentence.
I don't know of any forums (we tend to use facebook groups) but I will gladly help you with anything if you need to Smile