Twitist Forums
Is it stupid to use abbreviations like idk an lol? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter abbreviations (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Is it stupid to use abbreviations like idk an lol? (/thread-149440.html)

Is it stupid to use abbreviations like idk an lol? - Tiff - 04-28-2014 05:41 PM

Everyone says its stupid but I like it and not sure if I'm wrong

- Marie - 04-28-2014 05:45 PM

Idk isn't that good it's harder to understand so it can be a bit stupid whereas lol is one of those things you can say when you can't think of anything else to say x

- Lili - 04-28-2014 05:51 PM

It looks very adolescent. Sophisticated adults don't do it.

However, if it's the normal practice among your peers, you're probably better off doing it. Eventually, we'll hope, you'll all grow out of it.

- Balletgurl - 04-28-2014 05:53 PM

its a personal choice, i do with friends who do, but some find it annoying. I do it to be quick really. If you start saying them out loud i would say that's kind of weird... but its up to you Smile

- Thomas - 04-28-2014 06:01 PM

It is not english but it is not wrong speak how you want Big Grin i use lol and idk and cba a lot its just slang
hope i could help! Big Grin ~Tp

- Minjung - 04-28-2014 06:05 PM

it depends of the circumstances. On a serious writing like at school or whatever, then there is nothing more dumb than using ''lol'' or ''idk''. But when you chat with friends or comment something on websites such as facebook, youtube or tumblr, it's generally informal so it's alright.
Also, if you make a facebook or twitter status, avoid it.
it's really more for conversation purposes than anything.
Every single person i know uses them so i can confirm you it's definitively not stupid.
I don't know how old you and your friends are but just learn to use it when its the right time and now one should ever make fun of you because of that.

- KENNETH D - 04-28-2014 06:12 PM

idk lol

- Amar Saleem - 04-28-2014 06:14 PM

no, not at all, languages are for our convenience and you're allowed to use them however you want to, but spending too long making a point, using too many words to say a simple thing, that wastes peoples' time, and in my opinion it's best to be as succinct as you can .. if you're making yourself understood then that's all that matters