Twitist Forums
how to create a wireless internet connection at home? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: how to create a wireless internet connection at home? (/thread-151121.html)

how to create a wireless internet connection at home? - skinnyson640 - 04-28-2014 08:25 PM

i have a broadband connection [ MTNL] at home thru modem. m recently buying a laptop at home. i want to setup a wireless internet connection at home. how do i do it

- Cj Burt - 04-28-2014 08:29 PM

All you have to do is to buy a wireless router, unless your modem is a router also, like 2wire.
Buy an inespensive wireless router, put the setup CD in your CD/DVD drive, and it will walk you though setting up the network (SSID, Encryption, Password, etc).
They've made it very user friendly.

- Dan Karas - 04-28-2014 08:32 PM

Some ADSL modems have WiFi functionality built-in. Check with your provider's site http://mumbai.mtnl.net.in/triband/htm/t_details.htm to see if your modem has wireless routing capabilities.

If not you'll need to purchase a wireless router. You can choose any wireless G or wireless N router. Being that your (WAN) Internet connection is most likely in the 1.5 to 12 Mbps range and a wireless G router is many times faster at 54 Mbps, there is no advantage in Internet speed by choosing a wireless N router. The only advantage would be in transferring files around between computers on your local LAN.

Wireless N also has a larger range, meaning you can get a wireless signal at a larger distance from the router. However, remember to get either the speed or range improvements of wireless N, both devices have to be N. A wireless N router hooked to a wireless G adapter on a laptop or PC will have the range and speed of wireless G.

I'm not saying not to buy a wireless N router and adapter, I use one myself. Just don't expect any improvement in Internet speed. People that recommend N to improve Internet speed don't understand the concept, or they're lucky enough to live in a area and have the money to afford using ungodly fast and expensive Internet connections such as Comcast cable 105 Mbps.

Good Luck...