Twitist Forums
how to get maximum speed from wifi router? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: how to get maximum speed from wifi router? (/thread-152230.html)

how to get maximum speed from wifi router? - xyz - 04-30-2014 05:01 PM

i have a 144.4 Mbps wifi network. it some time gives a speed of 1mbps in utorrent but 46 kbps in chrome browser. speed test shows that its download speed is 0.46 mbps. dont say to cal isp or change position because if it gives 1mbps in utorrent then why 1/4 speed in any browser ? please help me oh ! , an by the way tnks in adv ! Smile

- Fred - 04-30-2014 05:17 PM

Have you tried using it wired to test wheter it is the wireless or the actual service connection that causes the problem.

- Thomas - 04-30-2014 05:24 PM

Its probably an N-Standard router with the N-standard 300 Mbps working on half rate because too many other networks overlap on the same channel. For looking it up the free inSSIDer 3 software can be used (you have to check on GOOGLE or YAHOO. InSSIDer 3 is the last free version and still is available online. Starting from 4 and up it costs a lot (since January 2014). With it the channel or the position of the router can be changed or if possible, from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz channels can be changed. With this it can be avoided that the router goes down from its full to half speed. If that is not enough, dual channel routers with up to 900 Mbps can be used. Those can use (if possible in your location) 2 channels in the 2.4 GHz and one in the 5 GHz band in parallel, summing up to 3 x 300 Mbps = 900 Mbps (in reality it is somehow below that maximum value but nevertheless very fast). I have a NETGEAR WNDR 4500. Before I had various NETGEARs, LINKSYS and CISCO routers. The WNDR 4500 is the best I ever had.

- Manas shrestha - 04-30-2014 05:38 PM

you can test it for http://www.speedtest.com

- Tatiana - 04-30-2014 05:45 PM

For WIFI its only like 10 metres or 20 the most if theres no obstructions. It really depends if you get a good router and adapter or not

- Windowphobe - 04-30-2014 05:50 PM

The slowest part of a connection determines the overall speed; just because you have a super-zoomy router doesn't mean that you'll be able to leech files quickly.