Twitist Forums
My Desktop cannot connect to the internet! (Ethernet)? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: My Desktop cannot connect to the internet! (Ethernet)? (/thread-153761.html)

My Desktop cannot connect to the internet! (Ethernet)? - 160 - 05-06-2014 06:23 AM

My desktop cannot connect to the internet. It is using a wired connection. I tried connecting to the internet both wired and wirelessly with my laptop and it was able to access the internet both times. I used the same ethernet cable for my laptop and desktop too. Could this be a hardware problem for my desktop, or could there possibly be settings on my desktop that are screwed up within it? When I plug the wire into my desktop, light from the plug comes on, both green and orange. And when I look at my modem, it shows that my desktop is in fact connected to it. The bottom right corner of my desktop shows that there is a computer screen with a caution sign in front of it, meaning "No internet access". Please help!
Ive already done that. Those didnt work.

- Nisia - 05-06-2014 06:35 AM

Restart your router:

Turn it off
Unplug all cables
Wait 10-20 seconds
<<In the meantime restart your computer>>
Plug your router back
Check if the problem is fixed.

- Comicbook Reader - 05-06-2014 06:45 AM

Start by rebooting your modem. Unplug it, wait a few minutes and then plug it back in. Shut your computer down and boot it up. That usually claers things up.

- Mike - 05-06-2014 07:00 AM

I'll assume that your router assigns the IP address. Make sure your desktop doesn't have a hard coded IP and DNS IP addresses listed. Generally you'll want this set to DHCP.