Twitist Forums
Is it legal to post a fake ad on craigslist? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: SEO Search Engine Optimization (/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Is it legal to post a fake ad on craigslist? (/thread-154577.html)

Is it legal to post a fake ad on craigslist? - Dave - 05-09-2014 03:23 AM

Say it was for a certain type of car. I would make about 5 to 10 fake ads of a certain car at a low price. I wouldn't use anyone else's phone number nor contact them back when they reply to the ad. All I want is for another seller to see my ads and post their car below the actual car value. Would this be legal?

- Nancy Kay - 05-09-2014 03:38 AM

no

- A Hunch - 05-09-2014 03:45 AM

it's not illegal.
But do you think someone is going to say "hey, this guy is selling the car cheaper. I think I'll match that price." Or do you think the guy will say "wow, there must be something wrong with that car to sell it so far below the value".

- David - 05-09-2014 04:01 AM

Yes, this small amount of mischief is legal. However, done in a larger scale it is considered economic fraud. To be able to prove this, law enforcement would have to have a complaint first, then they would need to subpoena craigslist for the records. If craigslist caught you on their own putting fake posts, they have a big price tag in their TOU that you agreed to pay them if your caught, there is a section describing this type of misuse in their terms. If you were in their jurisdiction, they could in theory, drag you into court, and sue you for violating their TOU.