Twitist Forums
Wireless Adapter is constantly changing mbps? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Wireless Adapter is constantly changing mbps? (/thread-154794.html)

Wireless Adapter is constantly changing mbps? - 818 - 05-09-2014 08:38 PM

I have a powerlink Speedy2 USB adapter and it is constantly changing my connection speed , the signal strength is excellent (always 4,5 bars) but It slows down myy connection when it changes to 1.0, 2, 5.5, 6, 9 ,12, 18 24 36 48 and 54 mbps, there are no options to manage the connection speed (data rate) I have another adapter it is a netgear the problem with it is its poor range (I don't have a home network and im usuing someone else internet) but I do get 54mbps and it stays like that always, how can make this adapter stay at 54mbps?? please help!

- Adrian - 05-09-2014 08:47 PM

You cannot stay at 54mbps if the signal is weak, or there is interference somewhere nearby. That is why the adapters throttle down the link speed, to maintain a connection. A weaker signal is still usable at slower speeds. Trying 54mbps with problems with the signal will cause it to fail. Hence, better connecting at 1mbps and maintain a 100% connection, than connect at 54mbps and only have 5% connection time....