Twitist Forums
Someone using openvpn to hack into my computer? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Someone using openvpn to hack into my computer? (/thread-154967.html)

Someone using openvpn to hack into my computer? - TheHonorableReese - 05-10-2014 09:51 AM

I noticed my computer was running very slow, so I opened up the task manager and discovered a program called "openvpn" that was taking up almost 100% of CPU power. I closed the process and then looked it up online, during which I found that it is a "virtual network" setup that people use to make secure connections between computers. I know for sure I never personally installed this. I did a search on my computer, but couldn't find the program installed anywhere. I also tried to block the program through the windows firewall and by preventing startup in msconfig, but it was not listed their either, as if it doesn't exist or is somehow hidden from me finding it.

Could someone have used or be using this program to hack into my computer? If so, how can I prevent this from happening? I'm running virus/malware scans right now, though obviously it will take a while to get results.

- Stevö© - 05-10-2014 10:00 AM

I don't think you should come to the conclusion about hacking so quickly. It may be just a virus. Try running malwarebytes full sweep included in the link.

- bee - 05-10-2014 10:06 AM

Best thing for you is to format your C: drive and re-install Windows. My advice to you is use Avast Internet Security 2014. This is the way to protect your computer from and intruders. The way they plan this program is directly by someone you trust or through email which you open unknowingly. Also download and install this program: Advance System Optimizer which will clean and optimize your PC from all male ware and spy ware and install missing drivers. One more advise. Go to search box and type Regedit. It will open the registry. Try to find this program under the software list. If it's there then your PC or laptop is infected.

- Alexandra - 05-10-2014 10:21 AM

Format your C: drive and re-install Windows