Twitist Forums
How much ram does a vps need to host a forums? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: How much ram does a vps need to host a forums? (/thread-156808.html)

How much ram does a vps need to host a forums? - Ben - 05-16-2014 11:17 PM

I am thinking of hosting a forums on my vps which has 1gb of ram. Will this be enough to handle a small forum?

- hiro - 05-16-2014 11:30 PM

Maybe, it can probably handle about 30-100 people, i know how expensive server parts are, but i suggest you get at least 4gb

- Anthony - 05-16-2014 11:47 PM

Yes it would, most VPSs run on gnu/linux based operating system which use little resources so less ram is required plus its more about bandwidth capacities rather than resources.

- Florian - 05-16-2014 11:58 PM

Depends on how much traffic you expect the server to get, and what is happening on the forum. I used to run a small server for my high school a couple years back, and it only had 1 GB of ram This held up 400 people at the same time. If you are hosting games on the website or anything else that requires a lot of RAM, I suggest getting at least 4 GB. anywhere from 1-4 should be enough for a small forum.

- RH-Calvin - 05-17-2014 12:07 AM

I would suggest to go for a higher RAM for forum hosting, as because when you have an increase of your members, you will require more memory to hold them at the same time.