Twitist Forums
How can I allow my toddler to meet a dog? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: How can I allow my toddler to meet a dog? (/thread-158659.html)

Pages: 1 2

How can I allow my toddler to meet a dog? - Crane - 05-23-2014 05:45 AM

I can't tell if this is one of those things that has an obvious answer in the negative or the positive. My toddler is obsessed with dogs, but we cannot responsibly take on the financial obligation of owning one. Can you help me brainstorm a way to bring her somewhere she can meet a dog? I was thinking of a shelter, but my daughter is not yet two, and even though I will give her close guidance, I would not want to bring her to meet a dog who was very easily upset and possibly violent.

I am not sure what else to do. I feel like trying to make a friend who has a dog, but of course, that is ridiculous - walking around the park and library, asking people if they have a dog and only trying to make friends with them if they do. Our neighbors have two large, unfriendly dogs; one nipped at my husband just for coming near (not even trying to pet). Everyone else I know with a dog (some very friendly) lives far away.

- Alex - 05-23-2014 05:51 AM

bring it to a dog. DUH!

- CDog - 05-23-2014 05:54 AM

I think a park would be better than a shelter. Some dogs are very good with and like children. My own puppy is very attracted to them and gentle with them. She loves to be petted by children. Always ask the owners first and observe the dog with other children first.

- suzie - 05-23-2014 05:58 AM

Take her to some of your local pet stores such as Petco or Petsmart . Although most pet stores would like to have you adopt a dog they won't generally pressure you and their employees have generally been around the dogs long enough to know if they are child friendly.

- Ocimom - 05-23-2014 06:02 AM

I cannot believe you have no relatives or friends that own a dog where your child can interact with a dog under close supervision. I would not want to expose my child to "strange" dogs. Most people have friends/relatives with dogs that have been around kids.

- JenVT - 05-23-2014 06:09 AM

Most dog owners won't want a strange toddler touching their dog. Call your local library and ask if they have a program where therapy dogs come in and the kids read to them. This would be an excellent way for your toddler to interact with a trained dog in a controlled environment.

- NewfieMom - 05-23-2014 06:21 AM

I think it's really nice that you want to introduce your toddler to a dog. If I was going to introduce my toddler to dogs, I would do it at a dog show. They have puppy classes at dog shows, and your daughter would meet some very well behaved puppies and adult dogs of many different shapes and sizes. Before you take her, I would let her know in simple terms how to behave around a dog.- no pulling hair, no kissing, no hugs - unless they are puppies, and always ask the owner if you can meet their dog. Teach your little girl to scratch an adult dog under the chin or on it's chest, but with puppies, she could pet them on the head, of course - you would be the one to determine an adult dog from a puppy. Alternatively, you might want to go to a dog training class with puppies - you need to ask the instructor first.

I teach bite prevention to children in our school system. One of the things we always stress is to ask the owner if you can meet their dog, and always pet an adult dog under the chin or on the chest - these things are non-threatening to a dog. You don't want to frighten your daughter, I would stick to puppies if you can for her first meeting.

My dogs and generally my breed, LOVE children! I wish she could meet my dogs.

- TrendyK9 - 05-23-2014 06:33 AM

IMO if you don't have family (or a friend) that will let you borrow a dog that you know well personally for her to meet and/or interact with then forget about it. You don't want to go around introducing her to dogs that you don't know (and know well) - toddlers and dogs are one of those iffy combinations to begin with, let alone a toddler with no prior experience and a strange dog you know nothing about. I could very easily see a bite happen.

A shelter is a bad idea all around. The noise and smell alone may scare her. And the dogs are bound to be hyperactive from being kenneled, and not all shelters behavior-test. The risk to her is high. The experience may terrify her and it will waste the shelters time, for sure. Pet stores are an option but honestly, puppies are even worse - nipping, peeing... again, could terrify her. Again, high risk to her.

Could you not research therapy dog groups in the area and contact them to see if they have or know of any dogs that go around to children's schools and/or day care centers? My mom used to work at a school that brought in a therapy dog to "read to" the kids once or twice a year. That sort of dog would be the ideal introduction for a toddler. Well trained and socialized and not likely to nip, knock her over, overwhelm her, etc.

She's only two - i wouldn't become obsessed yourself over this. At least not to the extent of actively looking for a friend who has a dog just because your toddler is obsessed with them! Seems a bit silly considering she has her whole life to be introduced to the dog world. There is no rush. Find the right dog and the right time. She can wait.

- Ammy - 05-23-2014 06:43 AM

Only introduce your toddler to dogs you personally know.

I have two dogs. One is a happy 20lb boy, who easily gets excited and jumps on new people to say hello and lick their face. He's fine with younger kids, but needs to be constantly watched so he doesn't knock them down or accidentally scratch.

My other dog is a 55lb girl who is a bit skittish and is honestly afraid of hyper children. If the child is calm and just sitting, she is OK. But if the kid is running around and screeching, she runs to hide behind me. And if the kid runs at her, she growls. That's as far as it's gone, I know how she is so if I see the potential for that happening I get her away, I do not want her to bite someone.

So, being a dog owner with two dogs who are overall great, I ask you to NOT take your toddler to a dog park. That is two of my pet peeves combined, people bringing young children into the dog park, and people with no dogs coming to the dog park.

Also, going to the shelter isn't a good idea. Shelters are often non-profit and time you spend giving your toddler time to pet a dog is taking away from time the shelter can be working to find those dogs homes.

Only thing I would recommend is talking to a friend or relative who has a child-friendly dog. Do not let your kid near any strange dogs. Speaking on behalf of anyone who has a dog who is afraid of children, I would be horrified if my dog ever bit a kid. That kid would be scared of dogs, which I think is awful because dogs are incredible. Plus I'd likely have to muzzle my dog in the future, or put her down.

- Verulam 2 - 05-23-2014 06:53 AM

I'm not sure whether this is a great idea at all to be honest. With the greatest respect, little children under 2, really don't understand that a dog isn't another toy. I was at the vet's with my Basset on Saturday and there was a toddler in there, with their cat. She was transfixed by my Basset, who being stitched up with two incisions, and back at the vet's office after being in on Wednesday last for the surgery, was not exactly in a good frame of mind to be responsive to a 'small'. Thankfully her mum appreciated this and told her daughter that the doggie is at the Doctors and doesn't feel very well, so leave him alone. I'd suggest, like Jen VT says, there are many owners who'd prefer not to have a very young child bother their dog. Even the most stable of dogs may not welcome this attention.

I'd just explain for now that this is the case - let her watch dogs, but not touch. Right now, she doesn't need to interact with dogs first-hand. And certainly the idea of doing this in a Shelter or in the Park makes me cringe. One bad experience and she could be put off dogs for life. Wait - there's plenty of time and maybe when she's over 5, you will feel like getting her a dog of her own?

Add - In the past, I've taken a puppy of mine into a local Junior School so the class could see, but not necessarily touch one, and understand what a puppy is all about. It was cute to have them all sitting around listening and taking in all I was telling them.