Twitist Forums
How do we get people to want to leave the welfare program? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: How do we get people to want to leave the welfare program? (/thread-159198.html)

Pages: 1 2

How do we get people to want to leave the welfare program? - Taylor - 05-25-2014 03:01 AM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/07/06/obama_acknowledges_welfare_programs_encourage_dependency.html

Barack Obama - 2011 Twitter Townhall

"Well, you know, here's what I would say. I think we should acknowledge that some welfare programs in the past were not well designed and in some cases did encourage dependency. As somebody who worked in low income neighborhoods, I've seen it, where people weren't encouraged to work, weren't encouraged to upgrade their skills, were just getting a check, and, over time, their motivation started to diminish. And I think even if you're progressive you've got to acknowledge that some of these things have not been well designed."

Below is a list of all 38 Government assistance programs
http://www.economicprogressri.org/GuidetoGovernmentAssistance/GuideFullListingofPrograms/tabid/213/Default.aspx
@ Romare - I agree. Let's get rid of ALL corporate welfare.
Now, how you suppose we deal with less jobs and higher prices?
I'm quoting OBAMA... not me lol. Are you disagreeing with your President?

- Shih Tzu - 05-25-2014 03:09 AM

Good paying jobs.

- 559 - 05-25-2014 03:14 AM

With Welfare Arena! Two welfare queens enter the arena, but there is only one check. Exclusive broadcasting rights reserved for Fox News. FACT.

- EIEIO - 05-25-2014 03:27 AM

Reduce all benefits each month by 5%. Eventually, the welfare queen will get hungry, get off the couch, and go find a job. End of problem.

- ? - 05-25-2014 03:32 AM

By telling them they have to work 40 hours a week for their handout.

- ★Ŕ♡MΛŔƐ★ - 05-25-2014 03:45 AM

Quit worrying about individual welfare and focus on the billions that taxpayers spend each year on corporate welfare. It costs MUCH more money, and I would rather give someone food stamps so they could eat than to pay subsidies to Exxon/Mobil and other extremely wealthy corporations.

- Qwabbs - 05-25-2014 03:51 AM

Anyone who is the age of 49-50 should be qualified for welfare. This country has gotten lazy and lazy for the past decade

- Pearl L - 05-25-2014 04:00 AM

by not making it so impossible to get jobs

- Smoking Joe - 05-25-2014 04:15 AM

An extremely low percentage of people are actually on welfare, and nobody is on permanent welfare, that ended long ago.

- 723 - 05-25-2014 04:17 AM

First off... do you want to focus on all programs, for even people who work?

do you want to take away food stamps for a military family? does that create dependence? I don't personally think so, I think that's a helping hand while they aren't making much... but that's a key issue here as you list 38 programs seeming to paint them all with the same brush?

I think the main problem is in TANF...which is what cons are generally talking about when they say "welfare queens" and such...

and the problems in TANF are generally greatly exaggerated...

I think the VAST, VAST majority want to leave or are elderly and will never leave nor can they (particularly out of all those 38 programs) ...

but a VERY small minority of the people on ACTUAL "WELFARE" (TANF) stay on there for the 60 month limit... it's like 2 percent ... out of about a total of million adults on TANF...

now... you may say that 2 percent of one million is still too much... which OK, yeah, I can see that... but it's not some huge problem overall... like .001 percent of the population...