Twitist Forums
What kind of device do I need to turn radio internet into wifi at home? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: What kind of device do I need to turn radio internet into wifi at home? (/thread-159482.html)

What kind of device do I need to turn radio internet into wifi at home? - AcáciO - 05-26-2014 04:01 AM

I don't know if you guys even know what radio internet is, because I think it is not popular there in USA, UK or wherever you live in, but it's a type of internet which you put a signal receiver device (satellite?) up in the roof, then it gives you adsl connection directly to your computer.

But I'd like to set a WiFi at home, because I want to use internet in my smartphone and also share with my brother (my smartphone would get connection through wireless connection, while I and my brother would get connection directly (by using two ethernet cables, plugged in the device, which I don't know if it's a wifi modem, router, bridge, wifi hub, switch... OMG, what else?!)

ATM, I'm using a wifi router, which is actually giving us connection correctly (when it works!), while in my smartphone it does not work at all (and sometimes randomly works as well).

Is a router the correct device to use? If so, does it appear as a hardware problem with it, since the signal connection led is ALWAYS flashing, regardless of our connection working or not?

Thanks in advance!

- Shahnn - 05-26-2014 04:09 AM

You basically just need a wireless router or access point.

The "radio internet" (wireless internet that uses a different frequency that is not 802.11x), will manage the connection between your receiver and your ISP. Your receiver should have a WAN port. Simply hook that WAN port up to your wireless router/access point (WAN) and you should be good to go.