Twitist Forums
What happened to Phonezoo? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Instagram (/forum-26.html)
+--- Forum: General Instagram (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: What happened to Phonezoo? (/thread-160056.html)

Pages: 1 2

What happened to Phonezoo? - 175 - 05-28-2014 04:26 PM

I've used the Phonezoo service to create my own ringtones for years. But now I'm not able to access it. Has it gone down permanently? When I go to the URL it says Streamzoo is shutting down. I've never heard of Streamzoo! If it's gone, is there a service similar to Phonezoo that I could use?

- Allie - 05-28-2014 04:41 PM

its forever gone. no one uses it anymore. they also had an app called streamzoo they pretty much copied instagram there completely done now.

- Crystal - 05-28-2014 04:53 PM

Streamzoo just announced their closing, and as a member of both Streamzoo and Instagram, I have to say that I must respectfully DIS-agree with "Allie." Streamzoo was available on Android phones (I now have an iPhone, but I didn't always) back in 2011, while IG (instagram) was only for iOs devices. SZ (Streamzoo) also didn't requite square cropping, and allowed "slider" controls for editing, rather than just filters (although it also offered close to the same amount of filters as instagram; overuse of filters can be quite distasteful anyway).
Streamzoo also left the user the right to their own photos, while the user agreement on instagram surrenders usage rights to their corporation....their mother company is Facebook.

The most important difference was the community involved with stream zoo. it was easy to get a professional photographer to mentor you or walk you through things, or to make a friend based on mutual work. There was a HUGE difference. SZ was about sharing beauty, IG was about sharing with friends and families. That is a pretty fundamental difference. That is why I used them both for separate things.

I think Streamzoo bought phone zoo a while ago, planning on using its features for members, then shut down before they had the chance.

I know that doesn't really answer your question...I got here looking for a reason why SZ was shutting down. But I can't agree with the other answerer.

- Brian Heneghan - 05-28-2014 04:54 PM

Phonezoo was a great site for making custom ringtones and Im sure because people were publicly stealing copyrighted music and movie/tv songs the big suits came after the owners with "a cease & desist or we sue you to death".

I never used streamzoo, but maybe they owned phonezoo. Sucks to see em go!

- SuzyM - 05-28-2014 05:07 PM

I was a big phonezoo fan also...

I just found this though: http://www.myxer.com/make/

- lisa - 05-28-2014 05:23 PM

I loved phonezoo, what do you mean nobody ever uses it anymore.. uh, hello!

- PJ KNIGHT - 05-28-2014 05:34 PM

I used it often also.... Thanks SuzyM for the new site

- Husker Girl - 05-28-2014 05:48 PM

DANGIT!
Some notice would have been nice to save all my ringtones that I DID NOT steal

- Charlene Burr - 05-28-2014 05:50 PM

I am trying to get ringtones. I always git them on here. What happened

- Heather Shutter - 05-28-2014 06:06 PM

Try Using Zedge Its pretty close in style of finding ringtones. Sad I'm sad that its gone as well