Twitist Forums
Why does it take so long to upload a video to youtube? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Why does it take so long to upload a video to youtube? (/thread-162735.html)

Why does it take so long to upload a video to youtube? - 340 - 06-09-2014 03:43 AM

So I try to upload a video to youtube in 1080i and it's 10 mins long, we'll it say it's gonna take 1750 minutes for a video that is then minutes long.I was wondering why is it? Is it due to my Internet or some part of my computer? I only have a quad core processor and 4G or ram? Would a graphics card help? Or should I compress the file?

- Dude in Canada - 06-09-2014 03:47 AM

It also has to do with your ISP and your internet package. For example, just because you have a 25mbps package doesn't mean that that is your upload rate. Usually its between 1-10 depending on the provider. Check your package and see what your upload rates are, then you should have a better idea why.

- Ryu - 06-09-2014 03:55 AM

How did you record the video? Is this a gameplay video of some sorts? Did you use FRAPS?

FRAPS does not compress videos at ALL, so video file sizes tend to exceed 4GB or so.

You should use a software called VirtualDub (Even if you didn't use FRAPS), import the video into it, and compress it (There's a 30 second tutorial on YouTube on how to do this)

That way the file will only be a few hundred MB and be faster to upload.

Also note: Upload speeds given by Internet providers are often crappy (most are around 1Mbps, which is garbage).

- Scott - 06-09-2014 04:04 AM

YouTube videos upload quickly! All of mine are at 1800p with 24 fps, and I haven't experienced any problems. You just need to get a better Internet connection; if you're tight on money and/or don't feel like upgrading, head down to your local Starbucks; coffee shops tend to have free wifi connection that they allow the public to use. Just be sure to buy something, so they don't get too mad!