Twitist Forums
how to share an internet connection???? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: how to share an internet connection???? (/thread-164641.html)

how to share an internet connection???? - ioannis a - 06-17-2014 02:18 AM

i have one desktop computer in the living room which is connects to the internet via dial up and i have bought a new desktop comptuter for my room. Does anyone know whether it is possible to share the internet connection and if so how. Thanks to anyone who answers.

- spacewebguy - 06-17-2014 02:22 AM

You can't since you have to dial in. If you had dsl or cable internet that would be a different story. You will have to run another telephone wire up to your bedroom if you want to get on the internet with dial up.

- Lil Bastard - 06-17-2014 02:28 AM

Not with dial up...unless you get 2 separate phone lines.

- ddevilsdiva - 06-17-2014 02:35 AM

You can share a dial-up connection, but you do need to have a LAN (Local Area Network) established. Which means you need a router which can be wired for a dial-up. You'll still run into problems regardless.

However if you do this each computer needs it's own modem and network card installed in order to "share" the connection.
I have included two links to sites about sharing a dial-up below.

- rock_nerd - 06-17-2014 02:52 AM

The best solution is to get a broadband connection and get both your desktops connect to the internet through a router. If broadband is not available, you will have to physically connect the two desktops with a cross-over network cable or a router. On the machine that has dial-up connection, go to Network Connections and highlight both active connections (one for dial-up and one for the other PC). Right click and choose Bridge. Basically the other machine will access the internet through this pc.

- mr. osi softwares - 06-17-2014 03:08 AM

why using dial up if you can use high speed broadband internet.

- SteveZman - 06-17-2014 03:20 AM

you can share a dialup, they make 56k modem routers although they're rare to find. or you can use Internet connection sharing in windows. you need a switch or hub to connect the 2 PCs first

- raji s - 06-17-2014 03:31 AM

check this link its useful

http://jtty.com/lrz