Twitist Forums
this has got to be a joke huh? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter DirectMessage DM (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: this has got to be a joke huh? (/thread-165644.html)

Pages: 1 2

this has got to be a joke huh? - 469 - 06-21-2014 08:53 AM

an old guy who won the flying cross with bomber command, flying 92 raids, that's three 30 raid rotations (yanks got to go home after 21 raids or missions as they called them), has been told he can't attend the bomber command memorial dedication.

wtf that's got to be a dm manufactured story huh

>A survivor of 92 missions during five years of service in the Second World War, the highly decorated rear gunner was shot down twice – once behind enemy lines – but lived to fight another day.
Now aged 91 and a wheelchair user, he could have expected to be a VIP guest at the unveiling of a long-awaited £6.5million Bomber Command memorial in Green Park in central London.
But despite his distinguished service and years of work helping to raise money for the memorial appeal, Mr Johnson has been told he cannot attend the ceremony on June 28 because there are no tickets left.
The memorial, a sculpture which features seven bomber air crew members, is expected to be unveiled by the Queen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157160/Betrayal-hero-He-flew-92-missions-rear-gunner-Second-World-War-So-wont-bureauocrats-let-Freddie-Johnson-91-attend-unveiling-memorial-comrades-Bomber-Command.html#ixzz1xQuZkWKG
i'm by no means an expert on bomber command, but i've read a bit about them, air crew had to do 30 raid rotations then they were due some time off, only about 60% made their first rotation and after the second rotation they we're usually kicked into a training unit, that guy must have begged his wing commander to be allowed to do his third, as a bubble gunner, or tail end charley he had the worst job on the lanc, they were always wiry like a jockey, he escaped a stricken lancaster twice, a plane notorious for it's low survival rate, wellington bombers had a higher casualty rate in percentage terms but also a higher crew survival rate from a stricken craft than lancasters, even then the rear gunners were least likely to survive of all the crew thanks to centrifugal force and the fact they had to access their parachutes on a shelf outside the perspex bubble to bail.

respect to that guy, ticket or no ticket he's the real deal.
if you want to know what it must have been like for him, sit inside your washing machine for six hours and keep looking out the perspex, oh and get some one to take a few pot shots at you now and again.

- Trick - 06-21-2014 08:56 AM

if true,it's a bloody disgrace.

- Fading Horse. - 06-21-2014 09:10 AM

I dare say he will get one after the Mail story.thank you for bringing it up.I am especially interested as my Uncle was an air gunner in Bomber Command. The Wellington was shot down in 1942. He is commemorated on the Commonwealth Air Forces memorial at Runnymede to those with no known grave. His name George Amery is the first name. I will have to see if he is on this new one.

- R T Fischall - 06-21-2014 09:18 AM

If one felt sarcastic one could say "well if its in the mail there's a remote possibility its true though one doubts it". On the other hand since one is buoyed by a few pints of bombardier one has looked into this via the joy of google.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9752779.No_place_for_war_hero_at_unveiling_of_Bomber_Command_memorial/

ah that's better, yes its true and absolutely disgraceful.

- 804 - 06-21-2014 09:34 AM

You're absolutely right. The man should be there. I bet some utter no-marks are present.

- Chosen Man - 06-21-2014 09:36 AM

When you have a Ministry of Defence that has more civil servants than active army personnel, then what do you expect?!?!

Personally, I'd forbid any civil servant, quangocrat, and politician entry until survivors had been given entry. Ex-Service Personnel don't want thanks, they want acknowledgement of service, civil servants want kudos and cv honours.

- Adam and his apple - 06-21-2014 09:52 AM

No tickets left, well that's it then, rules are rules y-know.
No doubt there will be plenty of room for the politicians and their nondescript bureaucratic jobsworths by the galore who'll be only to eager to be in on a photo opportunity, but not it seems for this highly decorated war hero who these people by their actions are clearly not fit to lick clean his flying boots.

I dare say if the Germans ever do anything similar, I'd bet they'd make sure that their war hero's, all of em, are invited and catered for.

Some people, they just don't get it do they, for all their talk, they just don't get it, they have no sense of occasion and dignity, none whatsoever.

- 587 - 06-21-2014 10:01 AM

Aww that is so sad Sad They should always make sure they have tickets for all the people who were in that bloody war.Guys like this should always be the first on the list to attend.

- D.K. - 06-21-2014 10:17 AM

Oh -- Well, I think Her Majesty may just have a
little something to say about that.

Keep watching.

- Misty Blue - 06-21-2014 10:32 AM

Terribly organised.Priority should have been given first and foremost to mission survivors.Indeed any administration people set to attend should ask themselves if they deserve their ticket more than this brave man and hand it over.It would surely be a privilege for them if he accepted it.