Twitist Forums
Can Universities gain access to your search history (Via google, for example?)? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook privacy (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Can Universities gain access to your search history (Via google, for example?)? (/thread-27954.html)

Can Universities gain access to your search history (Via google, for example?)? - Klipsch - 11-09-2012 12:56 PM

I'd see it as either a security breach on my side having files accessed without permission or a privacy breach on the side of Google. Which if it is in their privacy policy to let them, then I'm pretty disappointed.

Can universities really access your search history? On google?
I know they run check through your facebook and social networking site posts, ect. But do they really look through your search history?

That seems a little extreme, if not unrealistic. Can someone clarify?

- Edan - 11-09-2012 01:04 PM

Well, if they control the connection then yes, they can monitor your search history.
They can't legally access your client-side history but obviously if your connection passes through them then they can effectively do this anyway.
Also, it may be a surprise to you that google and possibly your browser monitor your browsing behaviour aswell ...