Twitist Forums
What information should I not give out on the internet? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: What information should I not give out on the internet? (/thread-32837.html)

Pages: 1 2

What information should I not give out on the internet? - Bryce - 11-09-2012 06:17 PM

I have this email buddy that I met on an online group and he's sort of a mentor to me. I tell him lots of things about my life, and we've sort of developed a friendship. However, I'm still kind of worried about what information I should give out, as I am only a 16 year old. A list of the information I should not give out would be nice! Thanks!

- Boogeyman - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

Your SSN and your address! Also don't give out any account information or your last name to anyone you don't know. okk

- Kind_Lad - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

Name, phone number (its easy to get an address from a phone number), address, social insurance number, credit card number.

A bit of common sense goes a long way Smile

- Butterfly - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

do not give out ur,,,

-social security number
-address
-name of school u go to
-any credit card or bank account

- calmafternoon347 - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

Your home address, where you go to school, your phone number, your full date of birth, what city you live in. State may be ok to name if you live in Cali or Texas but maybe not a smaller state like Rhode Island or Delaware. Just be real generic when you talk to the person don't give too many specific details about your life.

- globeweasel - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

all of the above, and anything that will give your school or location. and talk with your parents and at least let them know.

- gdfg - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

Anything which you wouldn't give a real stranger. Phone numbers can be harassed, addresses can lead to serious privacy breaches, even your full name could lead to your facebook being tracked down, and possibly hacked.

I'd recommend keeping online interactions just that - online. Don't share any information which you don't want popping up later on, but most of all just use your common sense. If you want to talk on the phone, let him give you his phone number, then call him from Skype or something.

- futuremarine1000 - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

nothing dont tell anything to anyone you dont know personally because if this person is not who they say they are the can exploit anything you tell them

- Metal Man - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

Do not tell him the following:

1. Your full name
2. Your SSN
3. Your birthdate
4. Your school
5. Your residence
6. Your pics
7. Anything that can identify you or is personal.

- Michael - 11-09-2012 06:25 PM

Avoid giving out all the personal information that I've made the mistake of giving. After reading your question, I've realized that I've gone too far as my Y!A contacts (when you put them all together) have the following:

1. My name (first & last)
2. My secondary e-mail address (which I use also for communication with a supervisor of mine)
3. The college that I attend (which obviously makes it easy to pinpoint my location)
And worst of all...

4. Access to my Facebook page

--

Aside from these items, I would say that Metal Man's answer yields a good list.