Twitist Forums
How to keep a child from continually cussing? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: How to keep a child from continually cussing? (/thread-32918.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- hunny bunny - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

don't cus in front of them, she could tell them the police are going to spank her if they don't stop cause they think she is a bad mommy.
or let them watch the wizard of zo and tell the the flying monkeys take kids who say bad words. scared the poop out of my kids.

- Yukanegishi - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

How about explaining in detail what the bad words mean. No leaving the awful details, just say the blank truth.
It worked with my brother: when the words he was saying had a meaning, and not a very good one with that, he just stopped using them. And when he did use them, my mother just asked him: ''why are you suddenly talking fornication with an unknown person with common knowledge all of a sudden? (the 'f' word)" that would just bug him and after a while he'd stop.
Just being open minded helps, no need to jump up and down everytime they use a bad word, just talk to them about it.
Cheers.

- ..... - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

A 4 year old! Oh wow, does the father(if they have one they spend time with) encourage it? Tell her to ask the child why he cusses. He obviously is in some state of hatred (not like he is demonic) but he is obviously upset about something. I dont think four year olds swear to be 'cool.' When he says "because i want to" the she should say that 'thats not what you do when your mad, so why is are saying it? make sure she finds out why...

- Kyle W - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

The best possible thing to do is to stop cussing in front of them if she does that would be the main cause of her problem if that is not the case then what I would do is slap them and explain to them that cussing is not proper to do.

- calmpie455 - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

it doesn't help that most of what she's doing is abuse. using soap can also cause severe illness in some children. at 4 they are finding their boundaries. how far they can get away with something. will they still be loved even though they push. children cuss to see what reaction they get. it's also not something to ignore. the child is cussing at something. use the time out for that. it's attention. perhaps they're looking for more time with mom or dad. also, i think i would have my child explain to me what the words they are saying mean. i think they say them just because of the reactions. tell them what each word means and why that word is wrong to say.

- Gavin J - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

tell your sister to say to the child "mommy and daddy will get a divorce if you don't stop cursing." My parents did that to me and I never felt comfortable saying the word "crap" until I graduated from college. Funny, I told my kids the same thing, and my son Jacob said "mommy 's cheating on you anyway." I hope he was kidding. If not... that bitch is going down.... down to funky town. (Big Grin

- Hayley :) - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Ok, I don't recommend this really but strangle them - my mum did it to my brother and he stopped cursing near enough altogether. As for four year olds, I'd throw their prize possessions like a PS2, and just chuck it all together - kids hate that! Soap never works. You could punish them for every time they swear, or you could give them treats once a week like a bag of sweets if they are good.

Or if worst comes to worst make them watch a scary film so they lose sleep - they'll think twice before doing it again.

- Chelsea - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

1. Look for their favorite things and take them away.
2. If they still cuss, there's always the traditional spanking.
3. When that doesn't work, take them to an adult male (Dad, friend, etc.) and ask them if they can have a talk with the child about cussing.
4. If that does not work, take them to a counselor.

Hope this helps!
=3

- TinyDancer - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

don't cuss around them. i was four when i first swore. i had heard my older cousin say it, and then i swore. i was just told never to repeat the word, at that was the end of that.

- VIRGO - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

I don't know if this will work for all children,but when my son started cussing around that age.I told him that when he cusses it makes his breath smell like poopy,because they are dirty words.He actually believed that if he cussed his breath would smell like dodo so he stopped cussing.He also get allowance for good behavior,and if he hears me or his dad say a naughty word,we have to put a quarter in his piggy bank.Sets a good example for him that we know cussing is bad also.